C300 write speeds are down to 78 megabytes per sec.

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

C300 write speeds are down to 78 megabytes per sec.

Granted, I don't remember exactly how fast sequential writes were when I bought my C300 over five years ago.  I'm guessing they were somewhere close to (still current) read speeds--somewhere between 150 and 250 megabytes per second.

I deleted half the content on this drive and let it idle for 24 hours in an attempt to collect garbage.  Write speeds have only improved to 78 megabytes per second.  What do I need to do to get this number closer to 220 MB/sec or so?

-BGU

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: C300 write speeds are down to 78 megabytes per sec.

The write speed depends on the drive size. The 64GB model will only do the speeds you quote.  If it's bigger than that - then it should manage more.  The maximum speed of the largest drive (256GB) was 215MB/sec, and 140MB/sec for the 128GB

If you have Windows 8 or later, right click the drive in explorer, go to tools then optimize.  This will erase the free space (only takes a few seconds)

The age of the drive (8 year old model) does bring into question what Windows you are running though.  If it's older than 7 then you don't support trim.  And if you cloned it back in those days - it may not be aligned correctly.  So can we get a bit more info about your drive model, Windows version and how Windows got to the drive please?  Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply.  This is indeed the 64 GB model (C300-CTFDDAC064M).  Is the speed limitation you mention documented somewhere?

The operating system is Windows 10 (build number 10.0.17134.345).  After checking Properties -> Tools as you suggest, I see the phrase "Optimization Not Available" next to the volume in Windows' defrag UI.  No dice there, I guess.

Finally the drive is installed as a non-system disk in this Windows 10 system (but was formatted by Windows 7 Setup for use in a previous configuration).  Let me know if this sparks any more ideas about alignment.

JEDEC Jedi

@blakeu wrote:

Is the speed limitation you mention documented somewhere?

Take a look at this document.