CLONING FAIL

Kilobyte Kid

CLONING FAIL

Hi Folks looking for some advice here!  Recently used Acronis to clone to a SSD for a laptop which worked perfectly, unfortunately not going so smoothly for my PC!  The clone is from a larger HDD to smaller SSD, plenty of space for the data so I don't think that is the problem.  The software goes through the whole clone process and then fails right at the end during the 'synching with operating system' phase.  Looking at the SSD it appears to have all the right partitions etc.  HELP!

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: CLONING FAIL

Try creating a bootable Acronis USB Rescue drive and booting the USB drive to initiate the clone.  You could also try using Macrium Reflect Free to clone the drive.

You may want to verify your source drive is not failing by checking the SMART Attributes on it using GSmartControl (there is a portable version so no install is necessary).  If there are no bad blocks or errors (i.e. Reallocated Event/Sector, Pending Sectors, Uncorrectable Errors, or UDMA CRC errors), then run chkdsk on the source drive to repair any possible filesystem issues.

On some systems there could be multiple hidden system partitions with various install & recovery images that need to be accounted when cloning to a smaller drive.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the advice.  I tried creating the Acronis Boot USB and booted into Acronis successfully, however, this time True Image couldnt even lock the HDD (something about dynamic disks and using linux?). So I didn't get as far as before.  The previous time it failed right at the end and looking at the SSD contents all the right partitions seem to be there. It just said it failed during the OS sync.

Kilobyte Kid

Just checked the disks, they are listed as 'basic' not 'dynamic' so now I'm more confused.  Tried using Macrium but that didn't like the fact that the destination disk is smaller than the HDD (something that Acronis can apparently cope with!)

JEDEC Jedi

I saw a Knowledge Base article or FAQ on Macrium's website which explained how to clone to a smaller drive.  I believe you have to click on each partition manually and assign it to the SSD.  As you assign each partition on the SSD I think you have to right-click on it and adjust its size (or select Auto?).   Once you have the layout/settings staged, then you initiate the clone.  I've never personally used it, so this is just from my memory.

Are all your partitions for Windows?  Out of curiosity, what brand computer or motherboard are you using?

Edit:  Here a post which explains how to use Macrium Reflect to clone to a smaller drive.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

After much fighting (and a refusal to be beaten!) i have finally got my clone done. Went back to Acronis and did the whole thing manually (resizing each partition) rather than let Acronis fail to do it automatically. The Clone itself took about twice as long (over 3 hours for 1TB) but seems to have worked! Hallelujah! 

Thanks for the input!