CT250MX500SSD1 negotiated Link Speed is 1.5 Gigabit only in Mac mini

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

CT250MX500SSD1 negotiated Link Speed is 1.5 Gigabit only in Mac mini

Hello,

The MX500 250GB SATA 2.5-inch 7mm internal SSD we've just purchased can rarely switch to the 3 gigabit link speed (and only for a very short period of time), it's "negotiated Link Speed" is usually 1.5 Gigabit only, as reported by our Late 2009 Mac mini's System Information application. The revision number of CT250MX500SSD1 is M3CR010.

Is there anything we can do to make sure the 3 gigabit link speed can be used permanently?

Thanks in advance,

Szabesz

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: CT250MX500SSD1 negotiated Link Speed is 1.5 Gigabit only in Mac mini

It appears SSD negotiated link speeds have been an issue for years with certain Apple products using the NVidia chipset and your Mac Mini appears to be one of those systems.

Make sure your Mac Mini has the latest SMC & EFI firmware.

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM.    When resetting the PRAM make sure you hear the chime three times after holding the keys.   

I would contact Crucial Support and report the issue to see if they will resolve it through a firmware update for the SSD.  If not, ask if the BX300 would negotiate properly.   Make sure Crucial is aware of the issue as they should fix it or at least update their systems to not recommend this SSD for certain Apple systems (or at least make a note it will only negotiate at 1.5Gb/s).

If they won't/can't help you or you decide to return it as "incompatible", you may want to try a 3G (SATA-II)  SSD which may be a bit hard to find these days.   I've seen a discussion about this elsewhere especially when using an SSD in place of an optical drive on a Mac (sorry I cannot post a link as it is from a competitor).   But as seen in the links provided below finding an SSD to negotiate at 3Gb/s on some Macs is difficult.

Here are a couple of links where this issue was discussed:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7917401

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/252469/Mac+Mini+only+runs+1.5+gigabit+on+SSD

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/which-ssd-for-mac-mini-late-2009.1696760/

JEDEC Jedi

Unfortunately, Crucial can't resolve it. It's a fault in the Nvidia chipset (and not restricted to Apple) when faced with a sata 3 drive.  And I'm afraid Nvidia won't as they've long since left the motherboard market.

All you can really do* is accept the fact that an SSD is going to be much quicker than a HDD due to the near zero seek times and so orders of magnitude faster random performance.  But you're not going to get the sequential large file performance out of one.

*assuming you can't find an actual sata 2 drive. Crucial haven't made one since 2010.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for the replies guys! We've tried all suggested but none did the trick so we decided to return the unit and look for another brand.

JEDEC Jedi

You'll need one that DOESN'T support sata 3. I think you'll struggle.  But good luck!