Can be mounting MX500 into DVD slot dangerous?

Kilobyte Kid

Can be mounting MX500 into DVD slot dangerous?

I've intended to install Crucial drive in adapter frame to empty laptop DVD slot, firstly working as expected, but after some reboots starting to behave faulty or even not being visible to system. Sent to RMA, got it replaced for new one so it was confirmed the dead part was drive. Now the second drive is installed instead former HDD, which is mounted in the DVD bay adaptor instead. Working both without issues. I wonder if the first piece had to be a faulty from factory or could it somehiow die owing to specific conditions in the DVD slot. I assumed the SATA interface is the same except the different connector, but maybe not? I don't want to test the Crucial in DVD place anymore as I don't want to risk applying for another replacement.

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Can be mounting MX500 into DVD slot dangerous?

SSD's are far less delicate than HDD's physically.  That you're even mounting it an adapter is a bonus.  Some of mine just dangle off cables Smiley Very Happy

Assuming it was a sata dvd drive, the cabling will be identical to that used for HDD's.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Installing the SSD in an optical drive bay should not physically hurt the SSD.  Whether the adapter you are using has it's own SATA interface which could damage it is another story.

Performance is another story.  The SATA controller for a dedicated optical drive bay is not guaranteed to be the same as the main SATA controller since the manufacturer only needs it to support a DVD which transmits data a lot slower.  I know Apple's optical drive SATA ports are sometimes only SATA II interfaces and sometimes they cannot auto negotiate the different speeds as they never intended or envisioned someone would install a drive in it much less an SSD.  Performance will vary by manufacturer of the laptop.   A hard drive is definitely a better choice for an optical drive port.

Kilobyte Kid

The performance remark is true as I reached only SATA2 mode on the DVD socket while full SATAv3 on the HDD socket, but is not so important as the drive is only working in slower mode. Physical damage is out of question. Only what is crucial is damage that can kill the SSD unit (if) by faulty/nonstandard or only for ODD dedicated SATA port. The speed how fast the drive died hints that SSD drives may be much more sensitive to proper connection than mechanical drives.