Can't install W10 on MX200 - Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-B-165

Kilobyte Kid

Can't install W10 on MX200 - Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-B-165

I've recently purchased this disk but I can't see it in the W10 installer.

The BIOS sees the disk. I can install W7 correctly, but I can't install neither W8/W8.1/W10.

Both the laptop BIOS and the disk firmware are up to date.

I've tried providing the IRST drivers at installation time with no luck at all. 

Any idea?

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Can't install W10 on MX200 - Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-B-165

Try running Diskpart from the command line, select the disk concerned (v. important to do this correctly, List Disk then Select Disk #), then run a clean command on the disk. This is the only thing I can think of that could be an issue, other than some kind of incorrectly set up UEFI arrangement in your system which is not causing an issue with the W7 install, poss. it is a non-UEFI install disk? And the other are UEFI bootable disks? I know, a bit of a reach.

Try a Diskpart Clean and see how you go.

Kilobyte Kid

I've tried installing W10 right after installing W7 and it didn't work the installer could not see the disk.

Diskpart shows there are no disks available, but it appears in the BIOS and, I've been able to install W7, so it is compatible with this laptop.
Kilobyte Kid

This is caused by windows 10 not including a controller driver for the storage controller your SSD is attached too.

Something i noticed is that the windows 10 upgrade will pass preinstall checks if a device has a working driver on it, even if windows 10 has no qualifiable driver to support the device - Quite annoying considering the fact that it actually removes functioning drivers for a storage driver with a boot device in the event 10 has no compatible drivers for that device =_=

The F6 ahci driver needs to be signed and include a signed cat file which has been created with windows 10 support or the driver will fail to load.