Cannot complete cloning

SOLVED
KW
Kilobyte Kid

Cannot complete cloning

I bought an Crucial MX500 250 GB SSD, and plugged it onto my PC. (I had upgraded the OS of my PC from Win 7 to Win 10 early in this year.)

When I used the Clone Disk Wizard to clone my HDD (Drive C, the only one in my PC) to SSD, a message appears which says "Some partitions contain errors and can be imaged only sector-by-sector. It is recommended that you exit Acronis True Image and check the partitions with your system's disk-checking tools."

I chose to proceed anyway. Then another message appears which says "Cannot complete the cloning. The selected partition(s) on the source drive cannot be resized to fit a smaller drive because the source drive uses an unsupported or broken file system."

May I know how I can fix this problem?

I have checked my Drive C by using the Error Checking tool in Windows, and the report says it has no error.

(This Drive C has a capacity of 450 GB but I have only used 70 GB. It has no partition.)

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Cannot complete cloning

My first thought is your old hard drive might be failing since Acronis is suggesting a bit for bit clone.  The first thing to do is verify the health of the original drive.  You can do this using GSmartControl which has a portable version so it does not require installation.  Please provide a screenshot of the SMART Attributes for you original drive.  Also check the "Error Log" tab in GSmartControl and if any include them here.

You don't want to do anything to repair the drive until we know it is healthy or you risk losing your data.

Highlighted
KW
Kilobyte Kid

I have run the check by using GSmartControl. Here are the screenshots.Screenshot1.jpg

JEDEC Jedi

Your hard drive is definitely well used with 56k hours and is nearing end of life.  The value of the  attributes "Hardware ECC Recovered" and "Seek Error Rate" in the "Worst" column are nearing the value in the "Threshold" column meaning the drive is having problems and nearing failure.   I normally don't bother with these attributes as they are difficult to use in determining a pending drive failure.  So far no bad blocks have occurred on this drive.

In your case I would suggest performing a clean install of Win10 on the new SSD.  Afterwards, connect your old drive using a USB adapter/dock/enclosure and manually transfer your files.  You can download the latest verion of the Win10 installer direct from Microsoft.

If you want to clone the drive instead you could try Macrium Reflect Free to see if it will clone the hard drive for you.

A bit for bit clone requires a destination drive that is the same size or larger than the source drive, but it will still contain the same partitioning & filesystem flaws as the original.  However, it does allow you to work from a properly functioning drive while at the same time keeping the original drive intact.   Let me know if you have a large enough drive to use as a destination for a bit for bit clone and I can provide the instructions to use Knoppix Linux and the command line to perform a bit for bit clone.  Knoppix includes the best & most reliable software I know for a bit for bit clone.  

You could try to use TestDisk (booting from a USB drive) to repair the partitioning issues discovered by Acronis, but I'm not sure how easy it is to do.  Most times it will require manual intervention & changes anyway.   I guess you could try booting to the Win10 installer and select "Repair this computer" and then try Startup Repair (Troubleshooting --> Advanced).  I don't know what other software is available to repair the partitioning issues.  

If you try to "fix" the original drive, I highly recommend you backup your data first as you might cause irreparable damage to the partitions & data. 

KW
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for so detailed explanation.

I think I would prefer not to clone the old hard drive, but instead install Win10 in the new SSD. But since I am a novice in installing OS, I am now figuring out how I may install Win10 without buying a new Win10 license (for I only have the license key of Win7 and upgraded it to Win10). I am now asking this in the Microsoft community.

A few more questions about the SSD: (1) Now the SSD does not appear in the file manager (though it is recognized indeed). How it be readable in the file manager? (2) I have heard about "SSD partition 4K alignment ". Is it necessary to do it for a good performance of SSD? How to do it? Can it be done after the Win10 is installed?

Thanks a lot again.

JEDEC Jedi

You can activate Windows 10 on your new drive simply by logging in with the same microsoft account you use to login on your current drive.  No licence keys are needed.

For the drive to be shown in windows explorer, you would need to initialize it from control panel -> admin tools -> computer managament -> disk management.  However I do NOT recommend you do this since you are planning to install Windows to it.  The Windows setup will initialise the drive for you.

4k alignment was an issue from XP days. Ignore it. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@targetbsp wrote:

For the drive to be shown in windows explorer, you would need to initialize it from control panel -> admin tools -> computer managament -> disk management.  However I do NOT recommend you do this since you are planning to install Windows to it.  The Windows setup will initialise the drive for you.

Yes, let the Win10 installer take care of the partitioning automatically so it creates everything the correct way or you could have problems.