Cloned my current HD w/ Windows 10 to new MX200 1TB and Win 10 freaks out

Kilobyte Kid

Cloned my current HD w/ Windows 10 to new MX200 1TB and Win 10 freaks out

Hi,

I'm hoping someone has run into this problem already and has a solution.

I cloned my harddrive to a new MX200 using the bundles Acronis software, everything seems to have worked correctly, but when I try to boot using the SSD, Windows starts blinking endlessly after I login.

If I restart and boot from the original hard drive everything is normal and functioning. 

I have a Gigibyte P67X-UD3-B3 w/ i5 process and 16GB RAM.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Cloned my current HD w/ Windows 10 to new MX200 1TB and Win 10 freaks out

Blinking? Reload/update the Win 10 drivers for the discrete graphics card. The onboard graphics should run blink-free at VGA resolution..
JEDEC Jedi

Older versions of Acronis don't appear to support Windows 10: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/BX100-cloning-problem/m-p/169850/highlight/true#M49476

(I've not tried it myself, but that guy had problems too and resolved it using other software)

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx is traditionally good (and free!) but I've neither tried its new version, nor to clone 10.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Interestingly, W10 solves the bug with Windows built in system image utility that meant one could not restore an image to a GPT drive (so any UEFI booting OS drive) if the image was stored on a GPT drive (so any backup drive with a partition over 2TB which means many of them these days). In W8.1 and below one had to move the image to an MBR drive to restore it or all that would result would be a cryptic error message. In W10, this restriction has been lifted.

So, don't mess with Acronis or any other imaging software. Windows has a native solution that works fine.