Cloning problems

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Cloning problems

I have shrunk my 2TB HHD to 400 go. I have been trying to clone the drive to my new MX500 1TB SSD. I get disk error with Acronis and Macrium reflect cloning software. I chkdsk the original HHD. It’s fine. I tried to chkdsk the ssd (after I had to format it to be recognized) and it sai there were a few errors. Then I tried to back up the HHD to the SSD but that would fail about 25%. I didn’t try Clonezilla because the download was riddled with viruses. What do i frustrating for the last 10 hours!
8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Cloning problems

I'm very sorry you are having so many problems.  Please post screenshots of the SMART Attributes of each drive.  You can use Crucial's Storage Executive or you can use GSmartControl (also has portable version).

What system do you have and how are the drives currently connected?  It is possible you might have a bad cable or adapter as well.

FYI, most cloning software is not designed to handle disk errors or I/O errors so they will usually fail midway if they are encountered.  They assume the drives are fully functional.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your reply. 

How do I attach the screenshots to this forum? My only option is the camera icon where it asked for the source and image size. I add these and only the name of the screenshot shows. I'll try it here:

HDD drive

Kilobyte Kid

HHD drive.jpgSSD drive.jpgPC and SSD connection.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

The PC is a HP Envy Phoenix 850-150qt with WIndows Pro 10, HHD is 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G 

Thanks

Kilobyte Kid

Typo city here! 

850-150qe not qt

JEDEC Jedi

Your hard drive looks Ok, but I do see on your SSD SMART Attribute #199 UDMA CRC Errors has a few errors.  This is usually caused by a cable issue.  If the SSD was connected externally, then make sure the drive did not slip off the cable.  The Crucial adapter unfortunately doesn't push on very far and is easy too loosen.  It is the only thing I don't like about the adapter.   Also try another USB port.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your suggestions! I will try again on Monday.

Kilobyte Kid

Yes. That must have been the issue. Not sure if it was the cable or the USB plugin - but the SSD cloned the first time and I am using the SSD now. The only issue was that the 3.5" adapter bracket to fit the 2.5" SSD into was not the correct bracket for the HP pc. I just improvised with a washer and the bracket is held in place with a single screw. The screws should have been twice as long or the bracket a mm thinner to fit into the drive slot. But now the SSD workes. 

Thank you for your skilled observations!