Connecting to the intrenet takes ages.....

Kilobyte Kid

Connecting to the intrenet takes ages.....

I am using an MX100 and after about a year problems and nuisances are turning up more often. When I ask in other forums I sometimes get the answer, it might be the SSD.

So I ask here too….

I use win 7 ulti with i5 and it took around 10 or 15 sec to start it all up.

Now everything is still fast, except connecting to the internet. The blue circle keeps turning… the yellow triangle comes, followed by the red x… after a time of one to five minutes, suddenly it will connect.

Anybody has an idea what it might be?

Thanks, RD

16 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Connecting to the intrenet takes ages.....

I can't see how that could be related to your storage.

Did they give anymroe details other than 'it might be your SSD'?  Why did they think it might be?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

The point is that the SSD is not just the storage, it is also where the OS is installed.

And from what I read SSD and i5 are so fast, it seems that the installation proceeds before the network is connected.

There are several identical/similar cases to be found on the internet, where this happens. You never ran into anything like this here?

It always connects after one or five minutes, I feel like I am using my Win XP, with an Intel M processor again...

JEDEC Jedi

No, it's a new one on me.  There are faster SSD's than the MX100 and faster CPU's than the i5 so it's unlikley you're outpacing the internet connection and others aren't? I'd probably be looking at your network card driver or router settings I think.

Windows shouldn't only be capable of connecting during boot.  Mine connects (within seconds) post boot.  I can sleep (breaking the connection) it connects after resume.  I can disconnect it it myself, reconnect it and Windows will reconnect to the internet.

Assuming your using a router and not old school with a modem connected directly to your PC, your internet connection is always up.  Your problem would be your network card connecting to the router.

I dunno if it helps, but you can generally get newer (or at least different version) from the maker of the chip for your card.  Here's Intels: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel+Ethernet+Connection+I218-V

Just whack your chip in the top search box (though I think they all use the same driver anyway!)

Could just be a random Windows Gremlin that needs a re-install. Smiley Sad  Or you could try your luck with Windows 10 resolving it!

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I re-installed the driver, no difference

Its not an Intel, its a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I still hope, I will not have to clean-install Win7 again,

I tested Win 10 and found one single advantage, the marking possibilities for the new browser. But I need my firefox add ons a lot more...

A change for me needs to be an improvement, there is no advantage as there was none in Win 8

JEDEC Jedi

Task Manager is much better in 8+ and it boots much faster.

Task View in 10 is awesome.

The important thing is did it fix your network?  That'd be quite an advantage... Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

"Task Manager is much better in 8+ and it boots much faster.

Task View in 10 is awesome."

I am afraid I use my computer not to be able to view the task manager as fast as possible, or because it might be awesome....

I solved the problem by restoring the computer the point way back in time when I installed MSE, instead of Avast and its constant sales pitches ... Which was of course one of the most idiotic things I ever did to a computer. But my own fault, I should have know better. It finds false positives, and without giving me a choice removes them.

I am back with Avira now, which leaves me alone, no "warnings", no "pop ups"...

The internet connection still takes twice as long as it used to, but now that means 25 sec, instead of 4'30, as I timed yesterday.

As soon as I have a free day, I will clean install Win 7... I am sure that is all that is needed.

I am puzzled why, against my better understanding, I keep trying to improve on a functioning computer...  Man Mad

Thank you for your help....

JEDEC Jedi

I meant Windows boots (much) faster, not Task Manager. Smiley Happy

Probably the main reason to upgrade is that Windows 7 mainstream support ended this year and extended support in 2020.  And Microsoft have ditched regular releases of Windows and are going to instead just update Windows 10 for the next 10 years.  So you're either going to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within the year.  Or pay £100 for the privilege anyway in a few years!

If you're a gamer, it's a bti of a no brainer for DX12.  If you're not, it's hard to see much advantage, I must admit, beyond the speed improvements.  But nor is there anything much to dislike.  Whack on a start menu and it's sufficiently identical to an improved Wndows 7 to satisfy even the most change averse of people (ie.me Smiley Very Happy )

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Connecting to the internet takes ages.....

Windows 7 boots in 8 seconds flat on my computer, network connection (sadly enough) still takes another ten. I will clean install Win 7 once more on a rainy day, and all will again be up in 8 sec, as it used to be.

What do you mean Win will start up faster?

And no, I am not gaming, and I will not upgrade to 10, ever...

Are you aware that Win 7 has been declared the greatest data harvesting machine of all times?

There is a already a free software tool that offers to close most of the known built-in leaks,  DoNotSpy10 . But MS is not the only who thinks they own you. This "cleaner" comes, of course, with the complete library of OpenCandy.

But still, have a look at the privacy Win 10 offers:

https://imgur.com/gallery/9DoVoix

I know, it is the american way of life, but I belong to a generation, that has learned the hard way, that newer is NOT automatically better. MS has produced XP and 7, two excellent OSs.

I have been using computers since the second half of the eighties....

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Connecting to the internet takes ages.....

I'm not an American. Nor a youngster.  There's plenty of neat things in there that'll appeal to those of us who pre-date twitter. Smiley Happy

Quick Access and Task View (which is just stunningly useful) being my personal favourites at the moment.  I'm sure you could find third party equivalents for 7 though.

Startup speed wise, the whole point of 8 was that it boots about twice as fast as 7.

As for privacy.  I use google so I'm already stuffed. Smiley Very Happy  It's not that hard to set the appropriate options during install though (and a few after) you just need to read what you're clicking before you click it.

But anyway, it was just a suggestion to save you clean re-installing.  I guess I'm just getting too lazy in my old age to do that often myself.  It's an option of last resort for me now. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?