Connecting to the intrenet takes ages.....

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Connecting to the internet takes ages.....

Windows 8 does not "boot twice as fast as 7".

It resumes from a psuedo method of hibernate which stores the kernel in the hiberfil.sys (which ironically, many (read: misinformed) guides on the internet advise to be disabled on SSD's.

When you do a full reboot from Restart or "Full shutdown" (https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03EY0002R01.htm) the boot times are no better on 8 then they are on 7, with many proper boot tests finding they trade wins and average the same.

JEDEC Jedi

The reason for disabling hibernate is simply to save disk space.  Not because anyone thinks it's in any way bad or pointless for an SSD.

It comes from the days when a 64GB SSD would cost you $200.  To have your RAM's worth of space reserved for hibernate, especially if you weren't using it, is a tad extravagent!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have to agree with squall, I found that hibernate story somewhere on the net, when I checked out the background on win 8, when it came out.

Even if it would have been true, getting a start up time reduced from 12 to 6 sec would not have improved my life decisively.

I do not use google, I use start-page, and I use a very, very old version of google earth. I do not update applications that do not need updating. I prefer the versions that were written in the good old days, when updates were not produced to sniff and make another little slice of money. And if there is one company other that google that I „trust“ with updates, especially when they come free of charge as Win 10 does, then it is microsoft.

Just last night I almost updated Ccleaner and found it contains four additional software installs, incl Opera, plus the whole set-up of OpenCandy.

You see, it is not that simple: „ It's not that hard to set the appropriate options during install though (and a few after) you just need to read what you're clicking before you click it.“

There are NO places to be ticked for many of those, the ones that were there I did click.

I use advanced uninstaller, which later shows me all the sh** that was installed as a by-product.

It also shows me that after uninstalling almost all software using THEIR own uninstaller, there are almost always files intentionally left on my computer when I use the un-installer the company provides.

F.e., uninstalling Opera left 233 files on the computer! Advanced Uninstaller removes those, very recommendable software.

And as you probably have have already understood, we are only at the beginning of the age, when EVERY download will be loaded with lots of garbage forced on you.

But, I still wish I could have somehow found out why the time my computer uses to connect to the network has become a joke. God bless M$ for „system restore“…

I have moved most of my stuff to the HDD, and use the SSD mostly for programmes. That is about 40GB, and a clean install of Win 7, plus all the software, takes a couple of hours.

I find that reasonable to have a nice clean computer every one or two years.

Thank You all for your help, we may not solved my particular problem, I still learned something new.

Is there a special recommended new software to wipe the SSD completely before a clean install?

JEDEC Jedi

It's technically sufficient to have the windows setup quick format the SSD.

Or you can use parted magic to secure erase it.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you, I only added the SSD last year, how do I quick format an SSD?

I am sure that will be easier than using parted magic..

PS I just watchd a 15 minute video fro heise.de "explaining" the advantages of win10... I thought it was funny...

JEDEC Jedi

I'm a hard core gamer.  It's a complete no brainer for me.  DX12 is stunning.  I'd be using it if I had to control the whole thing through Cortana! Smiley Tongue

My first attempt to install SQL Server on to it went a little pear-shaped but after I got that working, it's not missed a beat.

The privacy issues are a bit blown out of proportion to the average person.  They aren't any worse than anyone else and easily dealt with: http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

From what you've described, you take it more seriously than most so it's probably not suitable for you!  It just makes me laugh all these other people that own a smart phone or even use google and then moan about privacy issues on their PC.  Don't even get my started on those who have a facebook account... Smiley Very Happy

As for quick formatting, it's just an option during Windows setup.  Somewhere on the screen where you select the drive to install to.  Or it might be that you just delete the partition and recreate it?  I don't quite recall now I'm thinking about it.  Windows 8 and later reinstall themselves for you so I've not done it in a while.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, I will try and see what pops up while installing, I hope it tells me "This works for HDDS and SSDs".

Knowing M$, it will not...

No, I am not a gamer, i use games from the eighties for which I need Dos Box, they allow me to stop after half an hour...

I do not own a "smart"phone, I do not use twitter or facebook. It was clear to me from the beginning, what these things mean for the future

If you want to read an interesting, funny, short novel, try Gary Shteyngarts "Super, sad, true, love story"

It describes perfectly how the phones will chnage reality in the next ten twenty years. Very funny....