Copying smaller partitioned HDD to larger SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Copying smaller partitioned HDD to larger SSD

Hi   I have a 300gb HDD in my Toshiba laptop which I want to update/upgrade to a 500gb SSD.  The copy and installation process looks simple so I am OK with that.  However, the current HDD has two partitions of roughly equal size and I am wondering how the new SSD will deal with that.  By simply copying the HDD will I end up with a SSD with approx 300gb of OS, data and space and 200gb that the system will not know what to do with?   Or is the process clever enough to format/allocate the extra space the SSD offer?   Grateful for your help and suggestions

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Copying smaller partitioned HDD to larger SSD

The end result will depend on the cloning software you use.  But if the end result isn't as you desire, it's simple enough to rectify afterwards with any partioning software.  https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html is good and free.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks - so clone the existing disc on to the SSD then use the software to adjust the partitions so the full 500Gb can be used across the C: and D:

JEDEC Jedi

That's what I'd do - yeah. Smiley Happy

Depending on your cloning software it may do that for you anyway or it may have options to but I'd just let the cloning software do what it wants to and then sort the resulting clone out how I wanted it in partitioning software.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?