Creating an image from an SSD with bad sectors

Kilobyte Kid

Creating an image from an SSD with bad sectors

I have a CT525MX300SSD1 drive which has developed bad sectors.  The drive is only 2 years old.  I can't image the drive because my backup app, Macrium Reflect, exits with an error, detailing bad sectors.  Your Crucial Storage Executive printout shows 6 bad sectors and HDTune also shows the bad sectors.  Windows reports bad sector data cannot be moved as there is no spare sectors.  Should I return the unit as faulty.

My system has an Intel DH61WW motherboard with 8Gb of ram and running an Intel i5-2500K not overclocked.  The O/S is Windows 10 Home x64 version 1803 build 17134.407

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Creating an image from an SSD with bad sectors

If you got these bad sectors before updating to firmware M0CR060, then please update the SSD's firmware, then backup your data so you can Secure Erase the SSD to reset it to factory defaults.   You could try letting the SSD sit powered on at the BIOS boot screen over night to see if it can "fix" itself, but I think you will need to Secure Erase to get it working properly again.   On all of our MX300's they got stuck reallocating bad blocks until I reset them with a Secure Erase.   They've been running for a year now without issue, but every case is different.  

If you started getting these bad blocks after you were already on firmware M0CR060 and you have Uncorrectable Errors listed, then you may want to RMA the drive.   If you have no Uncorrectable Errors, then after the firmware update & secure erase you may be fine.   It is normal for SSDs to get bad blocks from time to time, but if you if you get Uncorrectable Errors which reach the filesystem, then that is not good.

If you have another spare drive the same size or larger, then there is a good Linux command line utility that works very well on cloning hard drives with bad sectors, but I've never had to use it on an SSD with bad blocks yet.

Feel free to post a picture of the SMART attributes as it will help me to understand what is happening with your SSD.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

The firmware is up to date with M0CR060 reported.  I have attached a SMART scan done today.crucial 291118.PNG

JEDEC Jedi

I'm waiting for the moderators to approve  your photo for the SMART attributes.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Looking over the SMART attributes you provided it appears as though all of the bad blocks have been reallocated which is good news.   If you've been using this drive since you posted the screenshot of the SMART attributes, then check to see if attribute numbers 1, 5,  and 187 have increased in value and if so please post their current values.   Assuming these values have not increased, then I would suggest the following:

Right-click on the SSD's volume and select "Properties", then select the "Tools" tab.  Under "Error Checking" click  "Check".    If it is a boot drive you will need to restart to initiate the scan (don't worry about checking for bad blocks, just do the default check).   If it fixes errors, then try Macrium Reflect again.

If you still encounter errors, then if you have another formatted storage device larger than the MX300, then I can help you create an image of the SSD using a good Linux command line utility.  (Or if the drive is the same size, I can have you clone directly to it.)   I've never used this process on an SSD with errors so I don't know if it will be successful or not.  Because this utility is so successful for me for cloning failing hard drives, I am not familiar with any other cloning utilities to recommend.

How much free space is there on your volumes?

Are you using Macrium Reflect to clone to another drive or to a file?  

Kilobyte Kid

I have checked the drive as you suggested and no errors were found.  The values of parameters 1,5 and 187 have remained the same.  I did find the particular file which resided in the bad sectors so I did a secure wipe of that folder (I could recreate that folder from good data) and the errors have ceased and the drive shows no bad sectors.  I assume it is fixed now.