Crucial 1TB SSD diagnostic test failures

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial 1TB SSD diagnostic test failures

My computer has started experiencing issues so I ran a hardware diagnostic and it shows that the Crucial SSD hard drive I have installed is failing some tests. I purchased it at the end of 2017 so it is still within the three-year warranty period. Based on these results would someone advise to open a warranty issue with Crucial, or are these fixable errors? 

(If it is at all helpful, these didn't appear until after an update from Windows build 1709 to Windows build 1803)

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial 1TB SSD diagnostic test failures

That doesn't actually show the SMART data.  Just that there is an issue in it.  Can you post the actual SMART data please.  Either use Crucials own Storage Executive or a SMART diagnostic tool of your choice.  I like https://crystalmark.info/en/download/ myself but be sure to obscure your drive serial number if you use that.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

That doesn't actually show the SMART data.  Just that there is an issue in it.  Can you post the actual SMART data please.  Either use Crucials own Storage Executive or a SMART diagnostic tool of your choice.  I like https://crystalmark.info/en/download/ myself but be sure to obscure your drive serial number if you use that.

Sorry about that. For some reason, the Crucial site won't let me post a picture, so I had to link it from DropBox.

Crucial S.M.A.R.T. results

JEDEC Jedi

Your SSD's firmware definitely needs to be updated as I experienced block reallocation issues with anything before version M0CR060.

Your SSD reallocated 4 bad blocks (attributes 5 & 196), but it also had 32 Uncorrectable Errors (attribute #187) which most likely occurred before the blocks were reallocated.  The Uncorrectable Errors are ones which make it to the filesystem and could affect data.  You should run a chkdsk on the filesystem just in case.  If you believe it affected any Windows system files, then run an "sfc /scannow" or "dism" on your drive to validate your system files.

It is normal behavior for an SSD to reallocate bad blocks as long as it occurs slowly over time.  As long as you don't get more Uncorrectable Errors you should be Ok.   We have multiple MX300's which had this issue (actually ours were worse than yours), but they've been running fine for more than six months after the firmware update & Secure Erase.  For our MX300's, the firmware update was not enough to resolve the issue so we had to Secure Erase them as well to reset them.  If you get more Uncorrectable Errors after the firmware update, you may want to Secure Erase the SSD.  As long as the Reallocated Blocks grows slowly and you don't receive any new Uncorrectable Errors (after the firmware update), then you should be Ok.   Definitely keep an eye on these attributes so if it becomes a problem you can still get a warranty replacement.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you. I will do that and also plan on reinstalling Win 1709 and hopefully, those two solutions correct the issue I've been having with the computer slowly stopping working from 1-2 hours into it being turned on.