Crucial Acronis software cant clone "to" a new Crucial drive

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Crucial Acronis software cant clone "to" a new Crucial drive

I bought a new MX500 drive. I'm trying to clone from my laptop to the new crucial drive using the Crucial Acronis software. Its telling me I need to have a crucial drive for the software to work. I understand I cant use this software with non crucial drives, but I'm trying to clone "to" a new crucial drive from a non crucual drive. Is there anyway to get around this?

4 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial Acronis software cant clone "to" a new Crucial drive

What USB to SATA adapter are you using?  Some adapters may block or interfere with some commands being sent to the external drive.  Try another adapter, enclosure or drive dock if you have one.  Also check out this post which talks about and links to some relevant information including other cloning software options.

You could also try creating a bootable USB Acronis Rescue disk using this post as a guide.   Then installing the MX500 in your laptop and connecting your original drive externally.   Then boot the laptop with your Acronis Rescue USB disk to perform the clone.   This should bypass any USB adapter issues.  I would suggest testing to make sure the Acronis Rescue disk will boot before swapping your drives around.

Please update this post if you are successful and the method you used so it may help others.   If you are unsuccessful, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Good luck.

Bit Baby

Thank you for the info. I'll try my dock. I was just using a direct cable.

Crucial Employee

HWTech is absolutely right that some adapters can block the communication needed for the Acronis software to work properly. If you happen to still receive the same error message with Acronis when using a different dock, please let us know by emailing us directly at crucsupport@micron.com.  If switching to a different dock or adapter does not correct the issue, I have a workaround that I can email out to you that will solve the problem.  

Crucial_Ryan, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi I did try my Sabrent Dock again this time it worked just fine. I think the last time I tried the dock was not connected. Thanks for the help.