Crucial MX100 256Gb wrong power connected

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial MX100 256Gb wrong power connected

Hello,

Due to incorrect usage of modular PSU cables my SDD MX100 256gb stopped to be seen by my system.

Probably it's a harware issue, I would like to understand what can I do to revive it.

I've found several topics in internet with the same problem that after such actions like usage of wrong PSU cable the SDD of this model dies, but none of them contains a sultion and everything ends that it is necessary to have donor SDD to revive.

If so, is there a way to order a part from factory to revive it by myself?

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX100 256Gb wrong power connected

There's a recovery procedure here for an enexpected power loss: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65...

But if the wrong voltage has been run through a product like this - I would imagine there isn't a solution. It's not like a hard drive - every part of it is electrical.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I've tried this, but it doesn't help me unfortunately.

I've handed over my SDD to the colleague who works in the service and he's saying that the following components have to be changed

msp430V592 + MOSFET P-CH

and he needs a donor SDD for that.

The question is, can I order these components somehow?

JEDEC Jedi

Are you trying to recover data here?  It can't be economical to repair purely for the sake of the cost of a new one which is a touch over £50 for the same size, current model.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Data recovery is not necessary. I just want to make it live again.

JEDEC Jedi

If your coIleague is in the business I'm surprised he doesn't know some places to order these parts.  I did a quick search on Newark and it mentioned msp430V592 was available on their partner site AVNet.  I've never heard of AVNet before.  Other electronic sites I'm familar with are DigiKey and Mouser and Jameco.   A hot air station will most likely need to be used and it takes practice to use one.  I doubt if the job can be done with a traditional soldering iron.

Not to discourage you, but keep in mind if this repair is done improperly, you could end up damaging your motherboard or other components.