Crucial MX300 M2 high temps

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial MX300 M2 high temps

Hello everyone, I recently purchased an MX500 m2 SSD from Amazon, but I am getting 76C under load and 71C idle temps, using readings from CrystalDiskInfo, HWInfo, and CPUID HWMonitor. 

Is this a sustainable operating temperature or should I take it out?  It's a little bothersome because it is the hottest thing in my computer right now, my CPU and GPU only reach 65C and 68C at most, respectively

I've already tried the HIPM/DIPM registry/power plan changes but they don't make a difference, unfortunately.  I do not have any fans blowing over the M2 socket as my motherboard has it on the opposite side.

EDIT: MX500, sorry

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX300 M2 high temps

The idle temperature seems very excessive.  I wouldn't expect it to be that high at idle unless your enclosure temperature is at that level.   Are you sure something is not accessing the SSD when you think it is idle?   Spotify was recently found to have written high volumes of data to the SSD.  Check Task Manager to see if anything is accessing the SSD during idle.  Or perhaps those utilities are incorrectly reporting the MX500's temperature.   You could try Crucial's own Storage Executive to check the temperature.

I believe the MX500 begins throttling performance once the SSD temp is over 70C.

I would suggest creating and booting a Knoppix Linux USB drive to monitor the SSD temperature in your system since it will ensure nothing is using the SSD drive and it will provide an accurate report of your SSD.   Use Etcher to create the bootable USB drive.

See what the temperature is at idle, then copy a large amount of data from one folder to another on your SSD and monitor the temperature.   Then do a system stress test to increase the temperature of your CPU, memory, and enclosure to see what the SSD temp becomes with a hot system.  Once you see the SSD temp level off,  copy another large block of data to see what the maximum SSD temperature becomes as a worst case scenario.

Here is how you do it.  Once Knoppix boots to the desktop you need to find the Linux identifier for your SSD.  To do this open a Terminal app (there are several, but the easiest one is right on the taskbar) and run the following command:

sudo   lsblk  -f

If you only have a single drive in your system the SSD should be identified as either "sda" or "sdb".  Once you've identified your SSD you can confirm you have the correct identifier by checking the SMART information for the device.  Substitute the drive identfier for your SSD you discovered from the previous command in place of "sdX" in all of the following commands.

sudo   smartctl   -i   /dev/sdX

Here is a command to monitor the SSD temperature throughout these tests which will update the temperature every 5 seconds:

watch  -n  5  "sudo  smartctl  -A  /dev/sdX   |   grep  -i  temperature_celsius"

Once you have the baseline idle SSD temp, open a file manager (icon is on the taskbar).  You should see a list of mountable partitions in the left pane.  If you see one labeled "OS", then click on it to mount your Windows partition.  If you don't see "OS", then use the information from the "lsblk" command above to locate your Windows partition.  Then click on the corresponding option in the left pane (or just click each one until you locate it).

Now create a new empty test folder on your SSD and drag & drop a folder with lots of data so you can monitor the SSD's temp during a large file copy.   Hold down the control key so the you see a "+" on the icon as you drag it.  If you see a "?" then that is ok too since it will prompt you what to do once you release the mouse button.

To run the system stress test you need to download "mprime" which is the Linux command line version of Prime95.  Select the 64bit version.  To connect Knoppix to your WiFi, click on the Network icon on the right side of the Taskbar.  If you don't see any WiFi networks, then you will need to use an ethernet cable.  If you cannot get online with Knoppix, then download "mprime" using Windows and copy it to the Knoppix desktop once you boot Knoppix.   Using a file manager navigate to the download location and right-click on the .tar.gz archive and select "Extract Here".    Now open a second terminal window to run the actual stress test (I'm assuming it was downloaded and extracted to the Downloads folder, modify the path accordingly if it is different):

~/Downloads/mprime

or

~/Desktop/mprime

Answer "N" to use the stress testing feature and decline joining Gimps.  Once you see the maximum temperature of the idle SSD while stressing & heating the system, perform another large file copy on your SSD.   To quit the stress test and the temperature monitoring, press Ctrl-C in the appropriate terminal window.

If you have trouble monitoring the SSD temp using Knoppix, then issue the following command to see the minimum & maximum SSD temperature for this session.  It will also show you the temperature history at one minute intervals.

sudo   smartctl  -l  scttemp   /dev/sdX

If the SSD's temperature is within reasonable margins for each stage while using Knoppix, then you know you must look for a Windows software issue.   If the idle temperature is still high even with Knoppix, then I think you may need to RMA the SSD.  It is normal to see the SSD temp reach 70C during an extreme system stress test & file copy for some systems.  Just for reference my MX500 2.5" SATA SSD connected externally had an idle temp of 31C and went up to 41C while reading 24GB over 12 minutes.  My MX500 shows the maximum temp reached when I previously did a write stress test was 54C.

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial MX300 M2 high temps

Historically. M2 SSD's have been considerably warmer than sata under load.

I don't know why for sure, but I have suggested some theories on this in the past:

a) they are a much smaller form factor so have hot electronics much closer together

b) the sata drives tend to be enclosed in aluminium - which is basically a heat sink

As said above though, that idle temperature ain't right.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?