Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - USB HID mouse & keyboard no longer working, SHIFT key no longer working

Bit Baby

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - USB HID mouse & keyboard no longer working, SHIFT key no longer working

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Crucial MX500 (CT100MX500SSD1) 1TB SATA3 SSD and followed the guidance to image and  install on my old Toshiba Satellite A500 (PSAR3A-01K002) laptop. However, once Windows 7 boots up with the new drive the built in USB HID devices (keyboard and pointing device) are no longer responsive. The keyboard does work if I stop startup and enter BIOS etc. I am able to hookup an external keyboard, but the SHIFT key specifically does not work when I do this, and neither is it recognised when I am in the BIOS screen for example on the USB HID keyboard. Drivers say they are all up to date etc. I can find some threads from many years back about the USBHID services but can't directly relate to what I am seeing on my system. Appreciate any insight, guidance or suggestions anyone can provide. Thanks.

1 Reply
Crucial Employee

Re: Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - USB HID mouse & keyboard no longer working, SHIFT key no longer work

Hello James203a,

Thank you for your question. In scenarios where drivers or devices are not working correctly after imaging/cloning we follow a few troubleshooting steps. The first recommendation would be to reinstall your original drive and schedule a Check Disk on the file system. This can help correct any errors that may exist on the original drive and better prepare the drive for a clone. Scheduling a Check Disk is outlined in the link below.

How to schedule a check disk on your drive

If performing a Check Disk and re-cloning does not resolve the issues Acronis True Image for Crucial can also clone outside of the operating system which can help in scenarios where Windows is not being locked correctly during the cloning operation. This is done by creating Rescue Media on a USB flash drive or CD and booting to it to begin the clone. Steps for this process are seen in the following link.

Create bootable media with Acronis True Image for Crucial

Best Regards,