Crucial P1 500GB M.2 SSD Not showing up.

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial P1 500GB M.2 SSD Not showing up.

My Crucial P1 500GB M.2 SSD, shows up in Bios but does not show up in my Windows 7 Disk Management at all. My motherboard is compatible and is a Asus Z170 Pro Gaming board.

My bios m.2 settings is currently on auto. If I turn it to M.2 neither the SSD or my other hardrives show up.

Anyone know a fix to this issue? Thanks.

4 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial P1 500GB M.2 SSD Not showing up.

Check your motherboard manual to make sure you are using the correct M.2 slot on your board for a PCIe SSD.   Also check to see if the M.2 slot shares any resources with the PCIe slots or even the SATA ports to make sure it is not conflicting with another device.

I'm wondering whether Win7 can even work with an NVMe SSD.  Are there any drivers on the ASUS download page you can use with Win7?

You could try downloading a copy of the Win10 installer directly from Microsoft to see if it can see your SSD.  Or you could create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher and see if the new SSD shows up in the GSmartControl app (Start-->System Tools).  Either of these methods will at least confirm a Win7 driver issue.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank's for the reply,

There is only one slot on the Board and through research and simply asking support, the board is compatible for this SSD.

In the bios there is a M.2 and SATA Express SATA Mode Configuration option that is on auto. On auto the SSD shows up, but on M.2, which I would assume you usually would need on, both the SSD and the HDD's are not listed.

On the help documentation on Cruicial is the following message:

NVMe SSD support and drivers are not available for Windows© 7. Your computer or motherboard manufacturer might be able to add support. There is also a hotfix available from Microsoft© that can be applied to natively support NVMe drives for Windows 7.

I tried to get the hotfix from microsoft, but it can no longer be taken as they have apparently included it into more recent updates. My Windows 7 is fully updated so it should be there. I may need to get Windows 10, but I have been trying to delay it as long as possible, as I am not a fan.
I will keep poking around and probably see if Win 10 at least finds it as you suggested.

I did get in contact with support but they kept repeatedly trying to get me to buy a wire to test it externally. Everytime I said I did not wish to pay for something I wont use to just to test it once, they just questioned me. After I asked if I should return it if they think it could be faulty? they tried to sell me the wire one more time and as I said no they asked "If it's new, why don't you just send it back?" Needless to say it annoyed me and I just ended the support there.
I may need to return it, but I don't see why it would even show up in bios if it was faulty. So I am trying all options before I do.

JEDEC Jedi

Make sure you are not using any PCIe slots or SATA ports that could potentially be linked to the M.2 slot in case the BIOS isn't properly separating them.  Check the motherboard manual for potential sharing of hardware resources.

Kilobyte Kid

I decided to try installing windows 10 instead of 7 and it shown up, so I was able to install it on the SDD. It also got round another problem with windows 7 constantly asking for drivers when trying to install, something I had huge trouble with to get around when I first installed it. I now know that the SDD should be functioning fine. I believe the speed was around 1200- 1500mb/s read so I would assume M.2 mode did not need changing anyway.

If I launch in win 7, even with the working SSD initialised the SSD does not appear, and without a driver or update to get it to show, I may be stuck using Win 10.

I did want to use Win 7 for as long as I can, so it is upsetting that I couldn't solve it for it, but I guess I may have to **bleep** the bullet and get used to 10 for now.

Looks like I have a lot of files to sort out.

Thank you for the help