Crucial SSD drive MX200 250gb not working on Macbook pro mid 2012

Bit Baby

Crucial SSD drive MX200 250gb not working on Macbook pro mid 2012

Hi there, 

I purchased a Crucial SSD drive a few days ago and tried installing it in my mac but have had no luck. I have tried the troubleshooting suggestions posted in the crucial forums but nothing has worked. Want to try and avoid paying a high fee for repair. My HDD drive broke so this is a replacement, therefore, the issue could be the SATA cable? 

Any help would be great!

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Crucial SSD drive MX200 250gb not working on Macbook pro mid 2012

Hi gaz217,

Thanks for contacting us today. What type of issues are you experiencing with the SSD? The 2012 model of SSD can sometimes have issues with the cable, but it would really depend on the issues you are experiencing whether or not replacing the cable may solve the issue or not.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hi I am also going to be doing this in the near future. What exactly do i need to preform the install?

Just this - http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/macbook-pro-%2813-inch-and-15-inch%2C-mid-2012%29/CT11320572

Or do I need an additional pack?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

gaz217,

Is the drive you purchased new or used?

You need to partition the new blank SSD before OSX will even see the drive as a destination volume.   You can do this using Disk Utility.  Keep in mind Disk Utility in High Sierra has a bug/feature where it will not show a new blank drive by default.  In High Sierra you need to enable Disk Utility  to show all devices, then quit & relaunch Disk Utility before you can select the new SSD to even erase it.   Disk Utility can be accessed in the OSX installer from the Tools or Utilities menu.   Once back in the installer, you may need to click back then next in order for the installer to refresh the list of volumes available.

If you still have issues, then try reseating both ends of the hard drive cable.

Only the MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2012) model had the extremely high rate of failure for the hard drive cable.  If you have an USB adapter or drive dock, you could put the new SSD in it to see if you can get Disk Utility to see it. 

How did your old drive fail?   Are you sure it was physically failing?

Also as as Crucial_YogiH mentions please provide more details on what you are doing & seeing including how you are installing OSX and the version, plus whether you have the 13" or 15" model laptop.

tomgibb:   To install an SSD in a MBPro 2012, you should only need a #00 phillips screwdriver.    You may also want to purchase a USB to SATA adapter (available from Crucial) or a USB drive dock or external enclosure  to access the files on your original drive or to use it as extra storage.