Crucial Storage Executive - linux build

Binary Boss

Crucial Storage Executive - linux build

Since CSE is java, why isn't it available for linux? java is cross platform. I know there's bootable media for firmware updates but if the CSE was developed as a portable linux application (maybe flatpak or snap) it would be fantastic.

10 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial Storage Executive - linux build

Try Micron Storage Executive Command Line Interface. (Crucial is owned by Micron.)

Binary Boss

thanks, I'll take a look at it as and when there's some new firmware for the drives I own

Binary Boss

Actually, looking at the supported product list for the linked to Micron storage executive I don't think it will work unfortunately. Maybe someone from crucial can clarify the drive support state?I have an MX300 and an MX500 not the Micron products listed.

JEDEC Jedi

Someone has used it before on the MX300 and explains how to get it to list support drives so you can check before doing anything:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/MX300-Overprovisioning-Question/td-p/175148/page/2

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

Thanks very much for the extra reference material and all your valued input. It may work okay for the MX300 I own too but I'd still not rather risk it without consulting Crucial support first though just because A N Other forum user said it worked okay for them. There's especially no guarantee my MX500 SSD would react well as it has different controller hardware. I'm being very cautious about this as I can't really afford to brick the SSD drives, voiding any warranty by using a parent company tool not intended for them and then have to purchase replacements.

JEDEC Jedi

Looking back through the thread you didn't especially need it now anyway right? You were just planning ahead for firmware updates?

It's not necasary for that.  The firmwares will be available in an OS independant format here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

that's part of the reason I was after it but also for a maintenance point of view. I'd like to be able to monitor the drive properly rather than relying on hdparm and smartmontools which don't seem to be able to communicate with it properly at present.

I missed this on the same page. It's not password protected like the command line client is, i'll check it out and post what happens.

https://www.micron.com/resource-details/c2014714-450c-4ebf-b9a5-032e3bb4a61a

Binary Boss

That went well, I've got 64-bit GNU/linux but clearly it's not Arch they had in mind.

Warning -You are trying to install this product on an unsupported operating system. The installer will exit.

EDIT - I have the CLI version working. It's detecting the MX500 drive okay

[Aures msecli_Linux_64bit]# ./msecli -L

Device Name          : /dev/sda
Model No             : CT500MX500SSD1
Serial No            : read okay but not posting that on the forum        
FW-Rev               : M3CR010             
Total Size           : 500.11GB
Drive Status         : Drive is in good health
Sata Link Speed      : Gen3 (6.0 Gbps)
Sata Link Max Speed  : Gen3 (6.0 Gbps)
Temp(C)              : 24

Drive information is retrieved successfully
CMD_STATUS   : Success 
STATUS_CODE  : 0 

Copyright (C) 2017 Micron Technology, Inc.

[Aures msecli_Linux_64bit]# ./msecli -L -d -n /dev/sda

Device Name          : /dev/sda
Total Size           : 500.11GB
Drive Status         : Drive is in good health
SMARTEnabled         : Yes
Est. Life Remaining  : 100%
TCG Status           : Not Supported
Native Max LBA       : 976773167

Device Name  : /dev/sda
Listing the detailed drive information is retrieved successfully
CMD_STATUS   : Success 
STATUS_CODE  : 0 

Copyright (C) 2017 Micron Technology, Inc.
Binary Boss

here's an interesting one, for the MX500 500GB drive hdparm reports 976773168 user addressable sectors (LBA48 value) and msecli 976773167 as native. not that one sector makes much difference it just seems a bit strange. I haven't compared the values for the MX300 525GB but am guessing similar behaviour for that too.