Crucial Storage Executive not detecting SSD

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Crucial Storage Executive not detecting SSD

I see this has come up before several times.  This program doesn't detect the MX500 2TB SSD I just purchased and installed in an old Gigabyte GA-MA787GM-SH2 (AMD 780G chipset) motherboard operating Windows 7 32-bit.  BIOS is set to AHCI.  The drive is working fine but it would be nice to check SMART status or firmware updates occasionally.  Is there a solution?

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial Storage Executive not detecting SSD

Does your BIOS actually see the 2TB SSD? 

Try connecting the 2TB SSD using a SATA to USB Adapter to see if it is seen by Windows Disk Management.

Have you tried connecting the drive to another newer system to verify the SSD is good?

JEDEC Jedi

Whilst it's nice having everything in one place in Storage Exec, there are alternatives to everything it does.

Crystal Disk Info can be used to check the smart data of an MX500: https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Firmwares will be available here (though there are none): http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I said the drive is working fine.  It is seen in the BIOS & Windows, formatted NTFS and is now in use.  It is just the Storage Executive software that doesn't recognize the drive and can't read SMART data etc.  I have already installed Crystal Disk Info but would be nice if Crucial wrote software that worked.

Kilobyte Kid

Try Micron Storage Executive CLI (Command Line Interface) Smiley Wink

JEDEC Jedi

Sorry I misread your post.

You should contact Crucial Support  or respond to the Crucial Storage Executive Feedback thread to report the issue with the MX500 & the Gigabyte motherboard so Crucial can update their software.  The MX500 was just recently released and is using a new controller so perhaps they still have compatibility issues with their software.

Until Crucial resolves the software issue, you can subscribe to receive notices when Crucial releases new firmware.   As for monitoring the SMART status & attributes, I don't use Windows so I'm not sure what software is available and works well.   Some of the applications still don't work properly with SSDs as they still assume hard drive behavior in their interpreting & reporting of the SMART attributes.  If you know how to read & interpret the Smart Atrributes directly and don't mind manually checking them, then the Micron command line tool suggested above may be of use or the GSmartControl GUI application.

Bit Baby

Thanks.  I'll try the feedback thread.

Kilobyte Kid

I just installed the MX300 in my ancient Lenovo T61 and had the same problem. I resolved it by uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and rebooting. It took two reboots, but then the software picked up the drive and everything has been working fine since.

- Mike
JEDEC Jedi

@schmieg wrote:

I just installed the MX300 in my ancient Lenovo T61 and had the same problem. I resolved it by uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and rebooting. It took two reboots, but then the software picked up the drive and everything has been working fine since.

Thanks for the tip.  A few people in the past have reported the drive being identified as the oen it was cloned on so I wonder if this is somehow related to that?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Not in my case as the drive was not cloned.  it's a secondary drive used for storage.

I saw elsewhere an Intel Raid driver update resolved it on an Intel based motherboard, but this one is AMD.