Crucial Storage Executive says "Enable AHCI mode", but its already enabled!

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial Storage Executive says "Enable AHCI mode", but its already enabled!

Storage Executive gives this message:

Drive Details | Performance and Optimization:
"Enable AHCI Mode - Your motherboard BIOS configuration is set to 'IDE' mode. This configuration should be set to 'AHCI' mode for optimal performance and to ensure full software feature support."

But it seems to be already enabled?

AHCI mode enabled in BIOS.
Device Manager | IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers - contains "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"
Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci: Start=0

Is this a problem with the Storage Executive software, or have I failed to enable something somewhere? I cloned the entire contents of my old HDD to this SSD, I did not do a Windows re-install, afterwards I changed the BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI, then rebooted. 

Win7 64-bit, Crucial MX500.
Storage Executive software Version: 3.60.082018.04
Driver Version: 6.1.7601.18231 (Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller)
Firmware Revision: M3CR022

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial Storage Executive says "Enable AHCI mode", but its already enabled!

It might be because you switched that you have both drivers enabled whereas a windows install would only enable oen or the other.  So Storage Exec may just be saying the IDE driver and judging you on that.

You can double check with https://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9 which as you can see in the screenshnots, tells you the driver the drive is using.

Kilobyte Kid

as_ssd_benchmark_results.gifcrucial_storage_executive._serial_removedgif_smaller2.gif

Obviously something wrong. But I dont know what?

JEDEC Jedi

Screenshots can only be seen by the poster until they've been moderated.  I can't see them yet. From what you've written though, I assume they show it in IDE mode?

The choice between IDE and AHCI is controlled entirely by the BIOS.  Any changes made in Windows are purely to make those BISO settings actually work in Windows.  So it must eb set incorrectly in the BIOS (or a BIOS bug!).  Note that motherboards often have multiple SATA controllers as the chipsets don't allow many drives so manufacturers often add a third party controller.  So it may be that you've changed the setting for a controller that the drive isn't actually on?   otherwise you;d need to consult your motherboard manual or contact your motherboard manufacturer.

It's worth noting that RAID is a superset of AHCI features.  You can enable it and get the performance boost you need from the AHCI features, even if not using RAID.  But switching to RAID needs a Windows reinstall in my experience.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks! I think I solved it: there are actually TWO places in the Asus P7P55D-E BIOS that needed setting to AHCI (I had only done one). 

I set it in Main/Storage Configuration/Configure SATA As [IDE/RAID/AHCI]... but did not know I also needed to set it in Advanced/Onboard Device Configuration/Marvell SATA Controller [Disabled/IDE/AHCI].

It's all now showing AHCI correctly, and my benchmark tests are greatly increased! 

Crucial Storage Executive reports:

Driver Version:6.1.7601.18231 (Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

as_ssd_benchmark_results_after_bios_storage_ahci.gif

JEDEC Jedi

That suggests you have it hooked up to sata ports connected to a marvell controller rather than your chipset (intel/amd)

Historically those controllers were rubbish - though they may have improved.  If your benchmarks are not what you'd expect though - this is likley way.  And moving the drive to a chipset sata port would be the solution.

Kilobyte Kid

Yes. The P7P55D-E also has Intel P55 and JMicron SATA connectors. Unfortunately they are "SATA 3.0Gb/s". The only "SATA6.0GB/s" connectors are the Marvell ones I'm using.  

This board also has something called "IO Levelup" which can boost SATA speeds further, but only by decreasing PCIExpress and USB3.0 speeds. So I'm not using that. 

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

The Intel sata 2 connectors were historically still better than the marvell sata 3 ones!  Despite the higher sequential speeds, the marvell had terrible small file performance.  Which is what SSD's are all about.

Kilobyte Kid

Just switched from Marvel SATA III controllers to Intel P55 SATA II controllers, and compared benchmarks. Holey moley! Smiley Surprised AS SSD Benchmark score has increased over 100% ! Thanks for the suggestion!

as_ssd_benchmark_results_after_intelp55.gif

JEDEC Jedi

No problem. It is a little counter-intuitive to use the sata 2 ports when you have sata 3 ones isn't it? Smiley Very Happy