Dell E6500 doesn't see M500 as boot drive

SOLVED
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Dell E6500 doesn't see M500 as boot drive

I have tried multiple steps with Crucial Tech Support to get the M500 drive to be recognized as a boot device with no luck.  It can be seen as a secondary drive on Windows once it was initialized via USB, but changing the drive type and reseating it multiple times doesn't solve the problem.  Yes I used the spacer to make sure it physically fits the connector.  Bios version is the latest A29.  I really want to move to this drive but I'm stuck.  Dell is of course silent on this issue.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Dell E6500 doesn't see M500 as boot drive

We need more details.   What version of Windows are you using on the M500?

Are you trying to install Windows on the M500 or trying to boot a clone?

How did you aqcuire the installer or what did you use to clone it?

Is the system set to boot in Legacy Mode with an MBR or is it set up for UEFI GPT booting?

What gets displayed on the screen when you attempt to boot to the M500?

Since you've been working with Crucial Support, I assume the SSD firmware is up to date, you've loaded BIOS/UEFI defaults, set the SATA port to AHCI mode, tried another SATA port and used another SATA cable.

Bit Baby

Windows 7 Pro was used to initialize the drive.  I was trying to do a clean install of Win 10 and then transfer files once I accomplished that.  I never could get the M500 to be recognized, and yes I tried all different settings for the drive configuration.  So I finally went ahead and upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro and then cloned the HDD to the SSD.  I then installed the SSD in place of the HHD and everything booted up perfectly.  Objective accomplished.

JEDEC Jedi

Glad you were successful and thanks for the update.