Dell Inspiron 7559 + MX500 m2 refuses to boot

Bit Baby

Dell Inspiron 7559 + MX500 m2 refuses to boot

So wow...    I'm absolutely clueless.   I have no ideas on how to move forward with this anymore.

I installed my Crucial MX500 m2 SSD in my laptop.

Booted up.

Windows 10 sees the hard drive.    I download the Crucial software for cloning my HDD to SDD.

Crucial Software says I do not have a valid Crucial hard drive installed.....    ????

Download Macrium, clone the hard drive to SSD.    All partitions copied successfully.

Attempt to boot.    Refuses to boot from SSD

Remove HDD to force it to boot, bootloader cannot find any media.  Fails.

Forced Legacy boot.    No joy.

Disabled Secure boot.  No Joy

BIOS clearly sees an MX500 hard drive installed.

No matter what I do I cannot boot to this SSD.

Downloaded firmware updates, load to USB.     Micron Storage Executive loads, then says "No drives needing update found"   Well that's not true for a firmware dated less than 2 weeks ago.

Tried doing a completely fresh install from USB of Windows 10 in UEFI mode, AS WELL AS legacy mode.     Installer refuses to install in Legacy mode.     In UEFI mode, it copies the files, then restarts and I'm back to the main install screen (where it chooses which partition to install).   The partitions are there, but it wont boot.

I've tried using bcdedit among other cmd prompt tools.   Nothing works.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue?  I'm completely out of ideas.

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Dell Inspiron 7559 + MX500 m2 refuses to boot

Did you update the firmware on your laptop?

FYI, be careful changing BIOS/UEFI options as most of them will keep an existing Windows installation from booting because it won't have the necessary drivers installed.  It is safe to disable Secure Boot, but changing the Legacy/CSM/UEFI & SATA options could cause problems.   Also I've seen multiple bcd configuration files on multiple partitions  so one of those could be interfering.  I had to end up blindly deleting some before I could have Windows automatically recreate the BCD.  

The manual firmware updater was just released, but CSE has had it for several weeks and I believe someone reported having the new firmware from the factory even earlier.  It takes a while for it to work its way to consumers as they need to create & verify the updaters.

As for Crucial's version of Acronis not recognizing your new SSD, try setting the SATA mode to AHCI instead of the default RAID (you can switch it back after the clone).

How did you acquire the Windows installer and which version is it?

Does the BIOS have any settings specific to the M.2?  Perhaps it needs to be enabled or perhaps the BIOS boot settings need to have M.2 as an option.

Does the Dell BIOS allow you to delete the old Windows boot entry?  If it was using UEFI booting on the old drive, then it will have stored a boot entry in the UEFI firmware and perhaps this entry is confusing the boot sequence.  You could then try using Automatic Startup Repair from the Windows Installer "Repair this Computer" to see if it will allow the half installed Win10 to finish installing by creating a UEFI boot entry among other things.

Probably the easiest way of figuring this out is by trying to get a clean install like you tried to do, then if we figure out what makes it work, then you could try the clone again if you can remember the original BIOS settings (most likely defaults).

If it was my system, I would first reset the BIOS settings to defaults, then modify the SATA setting from RAID to AHCI.   Also make sure UEFI only is set.  If you want to use hardware encryption then make sure the TPM is activated, otherwise leave it disabled.  Also make sure to check the BIOS has the M.2 slot enabled and selected for booting.  Then get Parted Magic and Secure Erase the MX500 so it is completely blank.  If it won't Secure Erase, try a PSID revert in case Windows silently & automatically enabled hardware encryption on your fresh install.  Download the current Win10 installer direct from Microsoft and try performing a clean install.  Let the installer automatically create the partitions, do not manually create any partitions.