Dell Optiplex 790 USFF upgrade

Kilobyte Kid

Dell Optiplex 790 USFF upgrade

Like to install a new SSD into my Optiple 790 USFF. I do not want to clone the drive but rather install and then load a new operating system.

Is it as simple as removing the old drive and replacing it with the Crucial SSD?

After installing the new SSD what steps do I take to install the new operating system (windows)?

Thanks in advance for words of wisdom prior to my Crucial purchase.

4 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Dell Optiplex 790 USFF upgrade

Yeah it's just a matter of fitting the drive then booting from your Windows setup media. Whether that by CD or USB stick.  You will need to change your BIOS boot order to boot from said device.  How you do this varies from system to system but it will typically tell you the key to press when it first powers on.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks!

The physical install does not look difficult, unplugging old drive and replacing it with new. 

Dont think I will need any optional install kit.

I have the new operating system DVD 

Sounds simple enough.

JEDEC Jedi

For a Dell, press F12 during POST to get a Dell system boot menu and select your DVD or USB installer so you don't have to change any BIOS/UEFI settings.   If you are installing Win10, then I would download the most recent version direct from Microsoft so it minimizes the number of updates you need to install afterwards.    If your system is new enough, I would suggest downloading essential drivers direct from Dell for the chipset, Storage, Audio, Networking.  If you enter your Tag# on Dell's support site, it will give you access to those drivers.   You may want to update your BIOS firmware too.

You may want to check to make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode before installing Windows.  If it was my system, I would also make sure UEFI only booting is enabled & configured.  

Kilobyte Kid

Great advice, Thanks!