Did I Do Something Wrong

Kilobyte Kid

Did I Do Something Wrong

I have a BX500 250GB SSD that I connected to my laptop using a sabrent usb/ide adaptor (usb-dsc9) but my windows 10 acer laptop (3680-2682) does not see the SSD this will be a new install. Did I connect this the wrong way by using this adaptor?

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Did I Do Something Wrong

You mention this will be a 'new install'.  If you mean you plan to install Windows to it, note that you can't install Windows to it whilst it's connecting to USB (well you might be able to - I've never tried. but you wouldn't want to!) - instead you'd want it connected internally.

If you're planning on using it as an external data drive - note that like all new drives - it won't be formaytted so won't show in 'This PC'.  To use it as a data drive, you would need to go to control panel -> admin tools -> computers management -> disk management and create a partition on it and then format that partition.

Note: you shouldn't do this if you are planning to use it for Windows since Windows setup will do that for you.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I was going to use the acronis software to clone, do I still need to go to disk management to format it etc., I was following the instructions from Crucial on how to attach the SSD to the Laptop and using acronis clone the laptop hard drive to the SSD.

JEDEC Jedi

No, the cloning software will handle that for you.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Targetbsp, thanks for the responses but would using the sabrent item I described in my post cause any damage to the ssd as that is what I used to attach the ssd to the laptop.

JEDEC Jedi

sata is a standard so unless the adapter is seriously faulty or damaged and si suplying the wrong voltages there should be no way it can damage a drive.  It's not unheard of for certain adapters to be incompatible with certain SSD's though (in that they're just not seen - not damaged) so perhaps this is your issue?

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Unless the adapter is defective it should not hurt your SSD.  Some USB adapters just are not compatible with certain drives & systems.   The Crucial USB to SATA Adapter works well even if the connection at the drive does not fit as snugly as I would prefer. 

Another option would be to create an Acronis bootable USB drive from the Acronis interface and then shutdown your system.  Install the SSD into your computer and see if your Sabrent adapter will work with the orignal hard drive.

Kilobyte Kid

Ok, thanks will order the usb to ssd apator from Crucial and see what gives.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Well the Acronis TrueImage software could not detect the SSD attached via the USB cable so was useless to me to use. The Acronis was installed on the laptop but didn't detect the SSD attached via the USB. So I installed Macrium Reflect Free and was able to clone the laptop to the SSD. When I replaced the SSD I tried again using the Acronis to see if it would detect the SSD installed and it did not. All said an easy process just wished the acronis had worked from the start but I am enjoying the quick boot and shutdow times compared to the sata hard drive that was originally installed.