Disable 8.3 Filename Creation

Bit Baby

I just installed Cruical Storage Executive for my new MX300 SSD

I noticed on the performance and optimization page this message

Supporting legacy MS-DOS file-naming conventions will reduce performance of an NTFS volume. Unless absolutely necessary, 8.3 filename creation should be disabled.

Question does disabling this cause any issues, I running Window 10 64bit

Thanks in Advance
Ged

20 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Disable 8.3 Filename Creation

It won't cause Windows any trouble.  But nor is it worth doing.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I have the last post on this page, and can't get an answer:

Help with disabling 8.3 file name creation please! Solved - Windows 10 Forums . . . https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/74757-help-disabling-8-3-file-name-creation-please.html#po...

Am I right? Disabling 8.3 filenames would mess up all of your programs?

If true, why does CSE bring that up as an option?

Couldn't disabling 8.3 file names cause a big problem for someone, if he did it?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@mb1280 wrote:

Am I right? Disabling 8.3 filenames would mess up all of your programs?

It ought to only mess up very old legacy programs.  I'm talking pre-Windows95.  It's for backwards compatibile with DOS/Win3.1 filenaming.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

In fact, and it has been 20 years since this was an issue so I may be mis-remembering, but I don't think it's about providing any kind of software compatibility.  I think it's about whether WIndows also creates 8.3 versions of file names.  To allow you to access those files in the old environment.  Should be optional for anyone not dualbooting into DOS6/Windows3

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

If I were about to reinstall OS from scratch then I could probably try to disable that setting and see what would happen. However I would not change default Windows setting for that - in general personally I see no major point of all those tweaks and tricks that could possibly speed up a system by what, 1% in all? 

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@mb1280, by the way, command you are using scans only root directory of C: drive. Try this instead:

fsutil 8dot3name scan /s c:

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I just re-did it . . . How could this not mess up many programs, if I stripped 321,367 filenames?

8.3 filenames.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

Oh . . . It could be about how [paraphrased] . . . Windows creates 8.3 versions of file names, to allow you to access those files in the old environment

It sounds like directories that programs set up?

I've previously used CCleaner on the Registry, and Windows Disk Cleanup . . . then, when I ran these:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

. . . It would always say:  "it found something, and fixed it"

. . . Never:  "scan complete, it didn't find anything"

So today, I don't use CCleaner on the Registry, and try to never use Windows Disk Cleanup, and I haven't had this issue.  I didn't notice any usability issues, just those mysterious status messages.

It seems like stripping the filenames would be similar.

JEDEC Jedi

In the olden days, when we typed everything into our operating system rather than using Windows, everything was restricted to 8.3.  Who wants to be typing out long filenames? Smiley Very Happy

When Windows 95 was invented, it added a second layer to the naming that allowed long filenames.  Every file basically had 2 names.  DOS couldn't see this and wouldn't have worked with it if it did.  Back then, you could switch between DOS and Windows as the backwards compatility was imperfect and you needed to go into DOS for some things to work.  So Windows had to maintain the 8.3 names, as well as it's own, for DOS to work.

When we switched to Windows NT based systems (WIndows 2000 onwards) the ability to dual boot DOS easily was basically gone.  But on the flip side, Windows had then been around long enough that most people would be using Windows based software by now and not need the backwards compatibility.  And if they did need it, virtual machines were the answer.

So in stripping out all these 8.3 names, all you're really doing is removing the ability for 25 year old programs to be able to see your hard disk.  When it's already been 20 years since doing that was even a realistic option.

I don't even know why it's still a feature of Windows. Smiley Very Happy  I guess it's a case of 'if it ain't broke...'

But also, as previously said, there will be very little real world difference either way.  I have turned it off on past Windows installs many years ago in the early days of SSD's.  But I haven't bothered and have left it on for the past several years.

Want to be a Super User?