Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

Hi,

I have a 1 TB MX200 SSD that has happily worked in my laptop for 2 or three years.  That laptop just died with a motherboard problem but I pulled ou the SSD, put a SATA/USB cable on it, plugged it into a new Win10 laptop and all the content was immediatley available.  Yay!

The new laptop has a smaller drive but I have a new 1 TB SSD on order from Crucial to beef it up.  When I get and install the new SSD I will cloan the new laptop's drive to keep the Win 10 OS, then will move the data and apps over from the older SSD.  I didn't expect this to be any issue, like the last two times I did it.

Unfortuanltey after a few days of using the old SSD attached to my laptop I lost accessibility and got the error "Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."  I've searched for solutions and found it is not an uncommon error, but fixes are ellusive.  I have tried things like CHKDSK and other Windows disk repairing tools with no luck.  I get the same error if I plug the unit into a different Win10 PC.  I'm out of ideas, and there are files on this drive I need to retreive.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JR

2 Replies
Highlighted
Silicon Sultan

Re: Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

With the drive again attached via usb (without any other usb devices installed), pull up the run window, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

Hit enter, and scroll thorugh your entries until you see the usb attached drive. What information about the drive is displayed? 

Also, what type of 'adapter' cable are you using (USB 2/3)?

I have used, with some success, this app. I would try the free version, see what you get. You could also try booting a live linx distro (kali Linux, Parted Magic, etc.), and see if it can detect and transfer the data, if you have no luck with any other options. Using a live distro to rescue data on NTFS formatted data partitions is quite easy, and you can also do some diagnostics from the live distro. 

Bit Baby

Re: Drive is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

Thanks.  I found a product similar to what you recommended called EaseUS that did the trick.  It found all the lost files and I was able to recover and download the most critical and current ones that I had no other backup of.   It doesn’t actually repair the disk.

Once I’m completely sure I’ve got everything rebuilt on a new drive I’ll reformat this bad one and use it as an external back up.  

JR