Drives after cloning

Bit Baby

Drives after cloning

Hello: I have a pc windows 7 and a new Crucial 500GB SSD. I cloned the existing 300GB HDD using automatic option and then unplugged the original HDD and plugged in the new SSD. Thank you for anyone who could help explain what has happened, below: The computer booted up with the new SSD and apparently works fine (good news!) But the new SSD is named drive OS (ESmiley Happy. The original drive, although no longer connected, is listed as OS (CSmiley Happy. All folders/files of the original drive are available in windows explorer... There is also a new drive called RECOVERY (DSmiley Happy. Question: I had expected that SSD would have replaced the HDD and be registered as OS (CSmiley Happy - as before but now SSD rather than previous HDD. Thus I am puzzled as to where the data shown as on drive OS (CSmiley Happy is stored (presumably on OS (ESmiley Happy?). Could I tidy up this arrangement for future use so I do not see drives that do not exist physically (the HDD is no longer connected in the system). Or do I grin and bear it and make sure NOT to write any new data to drive C:? I could not seem to find information on this case in the knowledge base or help pages. Thank you for any help. Richard
3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Drives after cloning

What software did you use to clone your drive?

It seems the cloning software made the hidden partitions visible and kept the drive designations of both the hard drive & SSD from after the cloning process.   If you click on the C: & E: volumes do you see data on both or just one?   What happens if you create a file or folder on one of them, does it appear on the other?  Depending on what has happened, it may be possible to correct this issue without recloning it, but personally I would Sanitize/Secure Erase the SSD and clone the drive again using different settings or even different software since I would be worried about what else might have happened.   

JEDEC Jedi

This isn't necasarily related to the cloning.  This has happened to multiple people after the Windows 1803 update.

Highlighted
Bit Baby

I will reformat the drive and go through again to make sure of all steps.  Thanks for help.