Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR070 for the MX300

Community Manager

Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR070 for the MX300

Firmware revision M0CR070 for the MX300 (all form factors) is now available. These firmware updates apply to the respective models, and should not be applied to any other Crucial SSD model. Currently, these firmware updates are available through the Crucial Storage Executive and through a manual boot file found here:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

The MX300 update also incorporates fixes to hardware encryption vulnerabilites, but additional steps will be required detailed in this link here. The additonal steps can be ignored if you are not activively using a hardware encryption solution.

Crucial MX300 SSD Firmware Release M0CR070 

This firmware update addresses the following items:

• SMART Attribute 198 was not reset at start of each background scan
  • Improved compatibility with Micron JMB394 RAID controller
  • Improved drive error handling
  • Disable APM
  • General stability improvements
  • Second source enablement

WARNING: Crucial recommends that you back up or make copies of all important files before installing this firmware update. This firmware updated is done entirely at your own risk. If performed correctly , there will be no loss of system or user data currently stored on the drive. However, if the firmware process is interrupted, your solid state drive might not function properly. If the firmware update is done on a notebook computer, Crucial recommends that the computer is plugged in to avoid interruption.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
13 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR070 for the MX300

The link https://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx is broken (error 404).

JEDEC Jedi

So it is!  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware will get you what you want if you haven't found it already. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Bit Baby

This firware is an abslute disaster for me, it's killed my RAID 0 array and now I cannot access my data.

Storage Exec updated it automatically and the drives immediately became slower and inaccessible after a few minutes of operation.

I uninstalled my RST drivers and reinstalled them, no joy. tried around 12 version of Intel RST drivers, all experienced teh same issue. Re-installed windows, same issue. had to rebuild the array and recover the partition around 4 times.

I need to roll this firmware back. how do I do that?

NO-ONE SHOULD USE THIS FIRMWARE!!!!

Kilobyte Kid

Understandable that you are upset. But the firmware seems to run just fine for other users, incl. myself.

Therefore I can't agree with your warning.

JEDEC Jedi

@th30d0r3 wrote:

This firware is an abslute disaster for me, it's killed my RAID 0 array and now I cannot access my data.

Storage Exec updated it automatically and the drives immediately became slower and inaccessible after a few minutes of operation.

That is very unfortunate.   Any time you use any type of hardware RAID you must be very careful especially with RAID 0.   RAID controllers can be very picky about the drives and a change in firmware may cause it to be identified differently by the RAID controller.  Or perhaps your MX300 had a problem that went unnoticed until the firmware update which revealed it causing the RAID controller to break the RAID.   Besides firmware updates are always risky.   What you experienced could potentially happen with any brand of drive.

Verified working backups are even more important when using SSDs than ever before.

Kilobyte Kid

I tried to do this firmware update with MX300 installed in an iMac.   The "Superdrive" in the Mac was not functioning 

correctly, so would neither burn nor boot the firmware CD.    I was able to link the iMac to a MacBook with a functioning

"Superdrive" via Firewire 800,  boot the IMac from the Macbook's Superdrive and perform the Firmware Update.  The

Macbook was in Target Disk mode and in that mode the iMac could boot from its Superdrive.. 

JEDEC Jedi

@ssdinamac Thanks for showing another method.  I really do like Target Disk Mode and wish PCs in general would employ it as well.   FYI, the current Crucial updater now supports UEFI booting to a USB drive.  You can use Etcher to make the bootable USB updater. 

Kilobyte Kid

HWTech

Thanks so much for the tip.   I will check out Etcher to try this method.

Kilobyte Kid

Trying to avoid a double-post
but still want to "inform" others about a possible issue:

Both this update for version 070 (MX300) and the 023 (MX500) seem not to be working on BIOS systems, e.g. for people who do not have an UEFI boot-option available:

https://forums.crucial.com/crucial/board/message?board.id=ssd&message.id=57766#M57766