Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

I can't do this because I have windows on my MX100 installed.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

re: "The SSD you are updating needs to be installed on an internal SATA controller set to AHCI mode (eSATA also works)." - I do not appear to have a setting in the BIOS for this on the Samsung N110 so I am unable to set this mode.

Any other ideas? I used the Crucial site and searched for a compatible drive with N110 which is why I went with this storage device but I'm now concerned that I will not be able to apply firmware now or in future.

(The zip/manual error was my fault, it was actually a zip > ISO. I created a bootable USB from that with Rufus but I got the same error again on boot around x86-64/686 as reported previously.)

Cheers,

LW.

JEDEC Jedi

I had a Samsung NC10 many years ago and if it's anythign like that (it loks a lot like it!) then yeah you won't find that option. Those atom netbooks are built for all out power efficiency at the expense of performance features.

Are you seeing that message from the update itself? Or from some instructions somewhere?  As far as I knew, the updates typically work in either AHCI or IDE/ATA.  It's possible that has changed on newer drives though.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@LamptonWorm,  If you have no other SATA options, then you could install it in another desktop/tower PC to update the firmware using the manual method (laptops are a poor choice as they tend to have security features enabled and it is more likely to mess up the original drive even if you are careful).  If you do this make sure the PC boots to your updater and not your SSD as booting Windows on an unauthorized PC may cause issues (practice booting the updater without your SSD installed).  Make sure your critical data is backed up & accessible before performing the update just to be safe.

Other options, IT department at work or a computer repair shop.   It may be possible to contact Crucial Support and see if you could send them your SSD for updating (some companies provide this service).

I can feel your pain  when a product is not 100% supported as this happens to me all the time for using a non-Windows OS.   To be fair, the SSD is functional in your system and there are lots of odd hardware out there that is not and cannot be fully supported.

Highlighted
Bit Baby

I've found some problems with the M3CR022 firmware:

1. I've burnt the .iso update to a CD-ROM and boot it. The program updated the firmware(apparently), but an error appeared:

"Failed to get format of firmware version string for model Unsupported Model".

I was updating a CT2000MX500SSD1 with M3CR020.

The drive is reported as M3CR022 now by Mint 18.3's Disk tool and works correctly apparently ( I can read/write files, create partitions & fstrim it ).

2. I cleaned the unit using sedutil --yesIreallywanttoeraallmydatausingthePSID [psid on the disk label] ok.... but, after that, a "sedutil --printDefaultPassword" reports the MSID as 32-zeros ( 00000000000000000000000000000000 ) and I no longer can erase the unit using the PSID which appears on the disk label. I must use 32 zeros instead.

I would like to get the original M3CR020 if it's possible, please. Any way to download & re-flash it? (I can only see the M3CR022 listed now in your web ).

Thanks.

JEDEC Jedi

22 is the first update released for the MX500.  20 doesn't exist as an update. It was on the drives from the factory.  In any case, downgrading the firmware invalidates the warranty.

I would suggest contacting Crucial directly.

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Is M3CR022 even supported for 2TB MX500? Because same error for me directly in Storage Executive software.

JEDEC Jedi

@baylander827 wrote:

2. I cleaned the unit using sedutil --yesIreallywanttoeraallmydatausingthePSID [psid on the disk label] ok.... but, after that, a "sedutil --printDefaultPassword" reports the MSID as 32-zeros ( 00000000000000000000000000000000 ) and I no longer can erase the unit using the PSID which appears on the disk label. I must use 32 zeros instead.

Are you sure you are erasing the drive with PSID revert again? I am not sure about that but I think that in order to PSID revert the drive it should be in TCG enabled mode. After PSID revert the drive reverts back to ATA security features set (TCG mode is disabled) and I am not sure if PSID revert would even work on such drive. Maybe someone else around here knows that for sure...

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

Installed MX500 500GB M2 2280SS SSD into an Acer SF114-32 laptop running Windows 10 Pro.

Cannot upgrade SSD firmware to M3CR022.

1. Using Crucial Storage Executive

- online upgrade gives error ...

Firmware Update Error

Command aborted by the drive
Firmware Update Error API Message: Upgrading drive Drive0 [Serial No. 1xxxxxxxxE] to M3CR022
Firmware Update on Drive0 failed with status 12

reboot method just results in a frozen BIOS screen.

2. Burning ISO file onto a CD results in unbootable CD

3. Burning ISO file onto a USB Flash Drive using Rufus  results in unbootable Flash Drive.

I susoect you'll have to provide a more up to date method that can cope with UEFI only sytems that require GPT bootable devices.

Or you can provide me with a M2 to SATA interface FOC which I can then use with any of my other PCs to upgrade the firmware.

JEDEC Jedi

@Gussie,  If your BIOS/UEFI settings have an option for Legacy (CSM) booting you could enable it temporarily to boot from your CD/USB drive.   If you are using the system's TPM & Bitlocker, make sure you have your recovery key just in case as changing this setting could possibly break Windows (it shouldn't but it is best to be safe).    Also check if there is a SATA setting for AHCI mode as this is required for the firmware update.    Make sure to put all BIOS/UEFI settings back the way you found them before booting back into Windows.   As with any firmware update it is always a good idea to make sure your critical data is backed up & is accessible.

I did post a way to create a bootable UEFI updater in the MX100/200 thread, but it requires knowledge & the use of a Linux OS to make it.   I believe there may have been another post linking to a third party site with similiar instructions.   I was working on trying to make the instructions useful  to the wider public who may not have Linux, but I ran into an issue and got busy (I'm just a normal user like you).