Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

mev
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

However, since it seems the original PSID got wiped, I wonder if we'll have to send them to Crucial to get them proper fixed.

I hope not - or at least, not without forward replacement!

Does anyone know whether Crucial actually monitors these forums?

JEDEC Jedi

Theyare indeed monitored but for one to one support you want to be contacting them (you can do so via the link in my signature)

Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

Theyare indeed monitored but for one to one support you want to be contacting them (you can do so via the link in my signature)

I think the question was less about one on one support, and more about whether they will be aware of this bug. I, for one, would rather not spend the time to call them if they will see this and consider it a valid way to get the bug reported and fixed.

JEDEC Jedi

Yes I know. Smiley Happy  And my point was this forum is read by Crucial staff but if you want to be absolutely sure - then contact them. Smiley Happy  They have contact methods other than the phone.

Bit Baby

@HWTech wrote:

@latrino

[...] manually copy the contents of the .iso file to a FAT formatted USB drive and install GRUB2 to it and create a grub.cfg file with the kernel boot parameters found in the /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file.   You can follow my instructions from this post and delete the "rssd-model=MX200" option from the grub.cfg I listed in that post.

Grub2 can also use the iso file directly, and that works even on non-UEFI systems, copy the iso to /boot and add the following to /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

menuentry "MX500 M3CR022 Update" --class core --class gnu-linux --class gnu {
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set isofile=/boot/MX500_M3CR022_Update.iso
	loopback loop $isofile
	echo Loading vmlinuz ...
	linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz -- libata.allow_tpm=1 quiet base loglevel=3 waitusb=10 superuser mse-iso rssd-fw-update rssd-fwdir=/opt/firmware    
	echo Loading core.gz ...
	initrd (loop)/boot/core.gz
}

I successfully updated the MX500 with this procedure.

Bit Baby

Hello,

I seem to be missing something. Using Storage Executive, I opt to update live and get a success message only to check for firmware updates and to see my update hasn't actually installed despite being told otherwise.

Confirmation of installation

Firmware update screen after supposed install

Please help! I'd like to update the firmware.

Best,

Z

JEDEC Jedi

@zszszol  Is your drive connected to an internal SATA controller set to AHCI mode?  If not, the update won't work.

Have you used CSE  or another utility such as GSmartControl (there is a portable Windows version so it doesn't need to be installed) to manually check the firmware is at version M3CR022?

If you can provide screenshots of the actual version number and also the message when you try to update it as it might help Crucial.   

Until the issue is resolved you can try manually update the firmware using a CD/USB from here.

Bit Baby

Hei!

I registered to give feedback on my Firmware Update to M3CR022 for the MX500: It went fine.

• Got the 2.5 yesterday, and ran into issues using it as a data drive with Ubuntu 16.04, cq timeouts namely.
  • Research showed firmware updates being common and effective resolutions to SSD troubles.
  • I was happy to find there being a more up-to-date firmware for my MX500 already
  • ISO installation worked just fine: I used Grub2 to start it directly from HDD.
  • MX500 is now recognized and mounted correctly.

I'm happy to have found a quick and mostly painless resolution. Thank you for this update, and thank you to forum members for providing the Grub2 hints.

Kilobyte Kid

Another one checking in with eDrive/OPAL issues with the M3CR022 firmware. I've already raised a case with Crucial phone support so will update here with progress. I specifically asked about downgrading to M3CR020 pending a fix to 022, and am awaiting a call back.

I have tested this with multiple MX500s, and there are some nuances:

1. A 500GB M.2 that is still on the 020 firmware. This is working perfectly - Windows 8.1 activates eDrive, I can enable hardware BitLocker, and revert using sedutil using the PSID printed on the drive label.
  2. A 1000GB 2.5" drive that previously had eDrive and hardware BitLocker enabled. This was behaving as expected under 020 - I could revert using the PSID printed on the label, re-enable and so on. Since upgrading to 022 the PSID is now 32 zeroes, and the MSID is 16 zeroes. Apart from the zeroed PSID, this drive still behaves as expected - eDrive is activated by Windows following a secure erase, BitLocker uses hardware encryption, and I can revert using sedutil.
  3. A 500GB 2.5" drive that I upgraded to 022 straight after purchase. On this SSD I cannot enable eDrive at all.

So it looks like:

• M3CR020 - eDrive works as expected.
  • M3CR022 (encryption previously enabled) - eDrive works as expected but the PSID and MSID are all zeroes.
  • M3CR022 (encryption NOT previously enabled) - eDrive does not work at all.

EDIT: See later posts - looks like eDrive/OPAL was stuck in an intermediate state on the 500GB. Despite everything saying it did not have locking enabled (sedutil-cli --query saying LockingEnabled=N, BitLocker being stuck on software, Parted Magic able to ATA erase it), running a PSID revert with the original PSID from the label worked. Now it behaves the same way as the 1000GB, and I can enable eDrive / revert with zeroes in the same way.

Kilobyte Kid

EDIT: This forum is being weird today; the post above me from @hoodoo is back. At any rate, I hope this might help his situation.

I'm not sure what happened to the post above mine, but I saw someone with a problem that I have tackled on more than one occasion with the MX500. OPAL/eDrive cannot be activated, and Crucial Storage Executive will claim that encryption is not supported or enabled. Both times, I found that using the 3rd party utility SEDutil to do the PSID revert worked fine, and I could then enable to eDrive. Do note that on the current 022 firmware, this will revert the PSID and MSID to all zeroes!

There are definitely some firmware and software bugs related to encryption on this drive.

The post that was above mine also mentioned they were in contact with Crucial support regarding the issue in this post, as well as the PSID reverting to all zeroes. I hope they will update us on this once they get a resolution from Crucial.