Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

The disappearing post was mine, but fortunately the mods have now put it back. It got flagged as spam, possibly because I ended up posting it twice due to browser issues. Thank you to whoever reinstated it Smiley Happy

I haven't heard back from Crucial support yet (was promised a call back within 2 hours over 6 hours ago) so will follow up again tomorrow. I hadn't found this thread at the time so didn't know about the zeroing of the PSID, and I have quite a lot of sympathy with the first line chap who was trying to write down my explanation of what was going on!

EDIT: To @BeefJerky9, thanks for trying to help, and sorry for confusing you with disappearing and reappearing posts. You are correct that it works ok on 022 as long as you're happy with a zero PSID, except for the case where eDrive was not enabled prior to the upgrade (my 500GB 2.5" drive). I'm not quite brave enough to try and do the initial OPAL setup with sedutil to try and work around that yet...

Kilobyte Kid

Haha, no worries.

You do not need to do any initial OPAL setup to fix the eDrive problem with your 500GB 2.5" drive. Simply use the SEDutil to do the PSID revert as described here: https://github.com/Drive-Trust-Alliance/sedutil/wiki/PSID-Revert

Kilobyte Kid

Doesn't work unfortunately. The 500GB never had eDrive enabled prior to the 022 upgrade, and whatever I do now I can't enable it. Windows just ignores the SED capability, and when I use sedutil it says the drive is not locked so I can't revert (there's nothing to revert), so I'm a bit stuck. I've secure erased it and installed Windows to it, and installed Windows to another drive with it as a secondary drive, and eDrive stays stubbornly off.

The ones where I had previously enabled eDrive on firmware 020 before upgrading to 022 are working as expected, with the exception of the PSID being all zeroes. I'm currently assuming there's an aspect of setup that only happens the very first time eDrive/OPAL is activated, which doesn't get reset by a PSID revert, and that's what is not working on the 500GB.

I've got various SEDs (not just Crucial) and these firmware 022 MX500s are definitely behaving strangely.

Kilobyte Kid

My experience with SEDutil in that situation will also show unlocked. It doesn't matter. Have you tried issuing the PSID revert command as shown in the earlier link? This command specifically:

sedutil-cli -–yesIreallywanttoERASEALLmydatausingthePSID <YOURPSID> \\.\PhysicalDrive?

Just ignore that the query shows it's not locked and try issuing the PSID revert command. I'd be surprised if that doesn't do it. If it still doesn't, I feel the drive is actually defective and you're not dealing with a firmware bug.

mev
Kilobyte Kid

@BeefJerky9BeefJerky9 wrote:

If it still doesn't, I feel the drive is actually defective and you're not dealing with a firmware bug.

hoodoo:

Agree - the behaviour BeefJerky9 describes is what I've experienced too. It's possble the drive is defective or something went wrong with the firmware update on your drive.

Thanks for so actively following up the PSID revert problem with Crucial, by the way. I'll be very interested in hearing their response too!

Kilobyte Kid

Ok, you guys are actual geniuses. Despite everything saying the 500GB did not have locking enabled (sedutil-cli --query saying LockingEnabled=N, BitLocker being stuck on software, Parted Magic able to ATA erase it), running a PSID revert with the original PSID from the label worked. It must have been stuck in some weird half on / half off state. I was sure I'd already tried a revert but apparently not.

A reinstall of Windows then enabled eDrive, hardware BitLocker works, and I can revert using all zeroes. So all my drives on firmware 022 are now behaving the same way. Thank you Smiley Happy

I did a chat session with Crucial support yesterday evening having not had any follow up from my phone conversation, copied and pasted a bunch of stuff from my posts here and pointed the agent at this thread. I was promised a call back today so let's see what happens.

Kilobyte Kid

Just had a call back from Crucial support. They wanted to check what was going on with the 500GB 2.5" on which I couldn't previously enable encryption. I explained I'd now got it working with a PSID revert, and it was behaving the same as the 1TB. Apparently engineers are looking into the zeroed PSID and MSID, which is now the outstanding issue I have with the 022 firmware, although it doesn't actually impact usability.

The chap who called me speculated it could have been ATA secure erase causing the zeroes, but I explained I also have another MX500 1TB 2.5" drive that is the system drive of my main PC, which is also showing the MSID as 16 zeroes (so presumably a zeroed PSID too) and has definitely not been secure erased since the firmware upgrade. Not to mention the M.2 still on 020 is not impacted despite enabling / reverting eDrive a few times. So it definitely seems to be caused by the 022 upgrade. In case any engineers read this and want to know, all my firmware upgrades were done using Storage Executive on a fully patched Windows 8.1 Pro.

Kilobyte Kid

Quick update. Just had another call from Crucial support to confirm that all my firmware upgrades were done with Storage Executive not the boot disk. I was also told that they've got engineers in both the UK and US working on this now.

Kilobyte Kid

Progress! I had a call from support on Friday to tell me that the engineers now have a fix for the issue where the PSID gets zeroed, and they are working on a new firmware version. Didn't get a timeline, but was assured it will restore the original PSIDs.

Kilobyte Kid

@hoodoo wrote:

Progress! I had a call from support on Friday to tell me that the engineers now have a fix for the issue where the PSID gets zeroed, and they are working on a new firmware version. Didn't get a timeline, but was assured it will restore the original PSIDs.

Awesome! Thanks for the update.