Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Bit Baby

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Hi there,

New owner of a 250GB MX500 - installed in a legacy BIOS laptop running Linux Mint 19. No SATA options available in the BIOS.

Following installation of the drive and reinstallation of the OS this morning I have tried and failed to update the drive's firmware using the downloaded .iso  for M3CR022. I've doublechecked and the drive shipped with the factory firmware M3CR020.

Method 1 - Burn the Iso to a USB stick - fails as it's not recognised as a boot device.

Method 2 - Burn the iso to a DVD - this will boot, but once booted it just hangs on a line starting Isolinux.

Method 3 - run isohybrid on the iso and then burn to a USB stick - same result as method 2.

Any bright ideas? Is this just a borked firmware image (judging by the various issues in this thread)?

Kilobyte Kid

Hi @smurphos, have you tried @mailinator's Grub2 instructions on page 4 of this thread? It looks like at least one other user was successful with that method and I don't see it in your list. The upgrade procedure does seem to be a pain in the neck for anyone not running Windows and CSE.

Unless you're experiencing specific problems with the shipped firmware I'd be inclined to wait though, as I've been told by Crucial support there's a new firmware on the way to fix the OPAL/eDrive weirdness a few of us have experienced with 022.

JEDEC Jedi

@smurphos  hoodoo's suggestion for using mailinator's  post should work, but you may need to modify the "insmod" boot modules for GRUB depending on your system especially line#4 if you are not using the ext4 filesystem where the Crucial ISO firmware updater is located.  You should probably also remove the menu entry afterwards. 

You can also create a bootable USB drive by following my instructions in another thread.   You will need to modify step#5 slightly as it was written for an MX200.  Remove the boot reference for the mx200.   You can also use and compare the original boot parameters as listed in the Note for step#5.

The reason you cannot boot the Crucial ISO file is because it does not include the necessary UEFI boot files.

Bit Baby

Thanks both - my laptop isn't UEFI though - legacy BIOS only.. The USB boots if I run this iso through isohybrid before flashing it, it's just it hangs once booted. 

I'm not having any issued with the SSD (only day 2 so far) so I'll hold fire for a while before exploring the Grub install method. 

I did find a Linux build of Storage Executive on the Micron site - works fine but tells me the factory firmware is up to date - I guess this might because the current firmware has been tagged as optional?

https://www.micron.com/resource-details/c2014714-450c-4ebf-b9a5-032e3bb4a61a

Crucial Employee

So to make a long story short M3CR020 = M3CR022.

020 was released on select drives prior to shipment, but the 020 firmware was never and update option we've provided online. When the firmware was officially released as an update it was M3CR022.

To further make things confusing Storage Executive doesn't have a clear way to tell you the firmware is updated even though the number is different, it just says it's already updated when you try to update, which is correct.

Why did they decide to do a limited release with different numbers for the same actual update? I've asked around and couldn't get an answer. I have been sure to leave feedback to our engineering that this isn't an optimal way to release updates. I've never seen this before with any other SSD firmware update we've done, so hopefully this is the only time they do this.

Good news is, on the next update for the MX500 M3CR023? (or whatever number it has), regardless of what firmware version you drive has 020 or 022, you should be able to update with no issue.

JEDEC Jedi

Thanks for that update Benny. Very informative. Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Hi! I want to ask about updating to new firmware. I'm usi...

Hello. It looks like firmware M3CR020/M3CR022 is broken. M3CR022 is offline maybe for a good reason... A new version is coming soonBe patient Smiley Wink

Kilobyte Kid

Are there any serious problems with M3CR020/M3CR022?

JEDEC Jedi

I'm not aware of any except for some users reporting the PSID on the SSD was changed after updating to M3CR022.  I think there was a Linux user reporting ata errors in the system log for the M3CR020 firmware which I thought M3CR022 had addressed.  According to an earlier post by Crucial the two firmware were supposed to be identical though.   Otherwise I haven't seen too many posts on here with people having problems with the MX500.

mev
Kilobyte Kid

@HWTech wrote:

Otherwise I haven't seen too many posts on here with people having problems with the MX500.

Yes, I've deployed quite a few MX500s now. It's still relatively early days of course, but they've been rock solid so far, aside from the bothersome PSID firmware bug (which I hope they fix soon).