Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Hi! I want to ask about updating to new firmware. I'm usi...

what is the reason that different firmware versions for the same drive model (ct2000mx500ssd1)

report different physical sector size?

i use "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo", bytes per physical sector attribute.

1st drive M3CR022 reports 512 (bought in Feb), 2nd drive M3CR010 (bought Aug) reports 4096.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi kamil,

Good spot. I would be interested in an official answer, but I suspect it was changed to increase compatibility with older versions of Windows (pre-8) that don't natively support 4KB sector drives without patches - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2510009/microsoft-support-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-....

What are your "bytes per sector" (logical not physical) settings for the two drives? Both values are set to 512 on my M3CR022 MX500.

Kilobyte Kid

512 for both drives

Kilobyte Kid

Makes sense. I could see changing the logical sector size for an existing drive upsetting Windows, but presumably Windows doesn't care about the underlying physical sector size other than when aligning partitions. I know Intel let you change the physical sector size between 512B and 4KB on the fly on some of their enterprise SSDs, as supposedly 4KB was faster in some situations. Would be interesting to see if there was any difference in benchmarks if Crucial added that option to CSE, although I imagine it's tiny and outweighed from their perspective by compatibility advantages of 512/512 vs 512/4096.

Crucial Employee

@skch wrote:

Are there any serious problems with M3CR020/M3CR022?

Nope, at least not that I am aware of.

Bit Baby

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

I'm assumming they have pulled the M3CR022 firmware, I can't find it anywhere. I'm having problems with my ct1000mx500's going offline in my raid array (akitio mini quad T3)- these drives have the M3CR010 version. I just purchased 2 more MX500's & they come with the M3CR022 firmware. Since on adding the 2 new drive to the array, do all the firmware versions need to be the same?  

JEDEC Jedi

They stated on the prevoius version the firmwares are basically the same.  You wouldn't need matching firmwares for RAID though.  You don't even need mathicng drives really (though it's probably best they have similar performance capacity for optimal value)

Bit Baby

A few months ago we downed all of our systems that had the MX500 drives installed to update the firmware to the version that was on the firmware site M3CR022.

We recently purchased more MX500's and would like to know if we should update them to M3CR022 or just leave them running what they are running?

If we should leave them running what they are running, should we downgrade the firmware on the other MX500 drives that we updated a few months ago?

JEDEC Jedi

The drives generally ship with the latest firmware so they may already be up to date if bought recently.

You can't downgrade firmware - not without invalidating your warranty anyway.

Most Crucial firmwares are rated as optional upgrades - only needed if you are affecting by the issues in the changelogs.

Kilobyte Kid

Today, I've met the ata error on linux, https://forum.manjaro.org/t/crucial-mx500-500gb-ssd-ata-errors-during-system-boot/43598.

After googling, I found this thread and I tried to find the firmware, M3CR022.

But, as above mentioned, I cannot find it. No link, and Storage Executive regards M3CR020 as the latest firmware.

Is there anyone to help me, or send the firmware M3CR022 to me, please?

I must use the SSD as soon as possible because it has my recent source codes and development environment for my job. :-(