Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR023 for the MX500

Community Manager

Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR023 for the MX500

Firmware revision M3CR023 for the MX500 (all form factors) is now available. These firmware updates apply to the respective models, and should not be applied to any other Crucial SSD model. Currently, these firmware updates are available through the Crucial Storage Executive and through a manual boot file found here:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

This firmware update addresses the following items:

• Corrected status response in the event of unsuccessful or aborted Sanitize command.
  • Improved compatibility with certain 3rd party TCG software.
  • Prevent potential loss of PSID during firmware update.

WARNING: Crucial recommends that you back up or make copies of all important files before installing this firmware update. This firmware updated is done entirely at your own risk. If performed correctly, there will be no loss of system or user data currently stored on the drive. However, if the firmware process is interrupted, your solid state drive might not function properly. If the firmware update is done on a notebook computer, Crucial recommends that the computer is plugged in to avoid interruption.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
35 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR023 for the MX500

Did not fix TCG errors, but at least I only get them after boot (restarting or booting up the PC) once, they stopped happening during normal PC usage, so I didn't get any BSOD's so far and the SSD didn't lock up once so far after the update.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809 build.

Kilobyte Kid

i have two mx500 drives that i updated to m3cr023 fw.

however it looks like under the hood the drives are not exactly the same:

1st drive bought Feb 2018

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo d: | find "Physical"
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 512

2nd drive bought Aug 2018

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo e: | find "Physical"
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 4096

i want to RAID those drives and i've been waiting since September for a firmware update

that could be applied to both drives to ensure they behave the same way.

but once i updated them to the same fw version i still see the difference as above.

has there been a silent manufacturing change?

what is the physical sector size on the currently shipping drives?

JEDEC Jedi

It'll be larger than either of those sizes in reality anyway.  It just reports that to the OS for backwards compatibility.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

and why it reports different values for the same drive, same firmware?

you know that some controllers will not allow them to be RAIDed?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

I don't know. Early reviews I found of the MX500 noted the change in it reporting 4k instead of 512 bytes like the older drives.  So 4K seems to be the 'correct' value for it.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Does anyone know if this update fixes this bug: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/what-does-critical-error-currently-unreadable-pending-s...

?

I would prefer not to get those emails anymore (i.e. false positive smartd errors)

JEDEC Jedi

@caffeinejolt If the firmware update does not fix it for you, then you could try modifying the smartd.conf to not report the "-l  error".  While not ideal, at least you don't get the annoying messages.   Use "man  smartd.conf"  to learn how to configure the line to alert an error.  By default the "-a" option is probably used.  In the man pages, it lists all of the items automatically monitored with "-a" so you could remove "-a" and add them manually, but skipping the "-l  error" option.

-a     Equivalent  to  turning on all of the following Directives: '-H' to check the SMART health status, '-f'
              to report failures of Usage (rather than Prefail) Attributes, '-t' to track changes in both  Prefailure
              and  Usage  Attributes,  '-l error'  to  report increases in the number of ATA errors, '-l selftest' to
              report increases in the number of Self-Test Log errors, '-l selfteststs' to report changes of Self-Test
              execution  status,  '-C 197' to report nonzero values of the current pending sector count, and '-U 198'
              to report nonzero values of the offline pending sector count.

Note that -a is the default for ATA devices.  If none of these other Directives is given,  then  -a  is
              assumed.

Also, I noticed the Smart Attributes listed in your link don't list all of the MX500's attributes with the proper labels.  If your FreeNAS is the same, then go to the smartmontools download page and manually download the latest "drivedb.h" file which now properly includes the MX500.  This file is no longer being automatically updated on Debian due to security issues and I believe a change in the site.  Same might be true for FreeNAS as well.

Bit Baby

Hi,

ISO image looks corrupt.

It says at boot : "could not find /boot/vmlinuz64".

Could you please fix it ?

Bit Baby

I tried to flash brand new 2TB drive via bootable USB (made by RUFUS 3.4). It found MX500 SSD, but the update process failed with status code 3 after 5 minutes and four complete lines of dots in DOS/Linux mode.