Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR023 for the MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR023 for the MX500

@aj84 wrote:

@BeefJerky9 wrote:

Has anyone whose PSID was reverted to all zeros via the prior firmware update tried this one to see if it restores the proper PSID? I'm curious whether I'm going to have to RMA the drive to get a proper PSID again.

I did some tests with two MX500 which both had older Firmware when I got them:

1) factory FW = M3CR022, Opal never activated, never PSID-reverted. After FW-update to M3CR023 and multiple opal-activations (using sedutil-cli) followed by a PSID-Revert (using sedutil-cli or msecli) the PSID stays correct (PSID is still the one from the drive-label; 32x zero is not accepted)

2) factory FW = M3CR020, updated to M3CR022, Opal activated (not sure which firmware was active when I did that), PSID-reverted (using sedutil-cli). After FW-update to M3CR023 and multiple opal-activations (using sedutil-cli) followed by a PSID-Revert (using sedutil-cli or msecli) the PSID (still) consists of 32x zeros (PSID from the drive-label is not accepted).

Sadly that are mixed results. Anybody got any more insights?

EDIT 22.01.2019: Contacted Crucial via Support-Chat. They asked me to enable eDrive (HW-encryption using Bitlocker) and then PSID-revert the drive 2). Afterwards the PSID should be recovered. Haven't done that, yet....

Please let me know if you do this. My MX500 is currently using eDrive, so I'd only have to do the PSID reset (in theory). However, I'm hesitent to do so, because I don't want to have to reinstall everything, especially if I'm not 100% certain it will actually fix the issue.

Kilobyte Kid

@BeefJerky9

Absolutely understandable. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything for now (as long as the drive is in use).

Just a short update: Did configure the ssd with Bitlocker HW-encryption as a non-os disk (= should be eDrive!?). Then I did a PSID-revert (32 zeros)...and repeated the procedure one more time: the PSID still consists of 32x zeros. Smiley Frustrated

Contacted Crucial US support chat (because the german chat was not available): (They didn't even ask me to setup the ssd as an eDrive.) According to them I have to exchange the ssd ( https://www.crucial.de/deu/de/returns ) because the PSID can't be recovered. I'm not really sure if the agent linked my problem to a known bug of the Firmware M3CR022: he said there probably went something wrong with a firmware update (*)...I don't know what to think.

(*) For me it is a fact that the first PSID revert using sedutil evoked the problem = I'm sure the PSID got erased in that moment. I guess the M3CR022 had a bug which got triggerd by the sedutil PSID revert.

Kilobyte Kid

@aj84 wrote:

@BeefJerky9

Absolutely understandable. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything for now (as long as the drive is in use).

Just a short update: Did configure the ssd with Bitlocker HW-encryption as a non-os disk (= should be eDrive!?). Then I did a PSID-revert (32 zeros)...and repeated the procedure one more time: the PSID still consists of 32x zeros. Smiley Frustrated

Contacted Crucial US support chat (because the german chat was not available): (They didn't even ask me to setup the ssd as an eDrive.) According to them I have to exchange the ssd ( https://www.crucial.de/deu/de/returns ) because the PSID can't be recovered. I'm not really sure if the agent linked my problem to a known bug of the Firmware M3CR022: he said there probably went something wrong with a firmware update (*)...I don't know what to think.

(*) For me it is a fact that the first PSID revert using sedutil evoked the problem = I'm sure the PSID got erased in that moment. I guess the M3CR022 had a bug which got triggerd by the sedutil PSID revert.

Thanks for the update!

Yes, M3CR022 had a bug where a PSID revert erased the PSID. As far as I know, it wasn't specific to sedutil, but would happen with any PSID revert.

Let me know if Crucial comes up with anything else, or if you end up just RMAing. If they don't come up with a solution for you soon, I guess I'll just RMA the drive.

Bit Baby

Been getting the same smart error: current pending sector is 1 under unRAID. Just installed these two MX500's a few weeks ago and both are throwing these errors periodically. My recallocated counter is still 0 on both drives. I went ahead and turned off attribute 197 to stop the false positives for now. Tried this firmware this evening to make sure I'm on the latest and it confirmed they were already at the latest version.

BTW, I used app balenaEtcher to burn the image to a flash drive on macOS and booted with no issues. Hoping there will be updates to resolve this soon.

Bit Baby

Hi guys,

joining in on the "unreadable pending sectors bug"....

Until now I have found these sources that speak of the error:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/akpjfm/smart_unreadable_pending_sectors_error/

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/a7olfg/crucial_mx500_owners_there_is_a_new_fw_update_out/

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69771-still-not-solved-current-pending-sector-is-1on-new-ssd-cache/

https://forums.freenas.org/threads/what-does-critical-error-currently-unreadable-pending-sectors-mea...

So to sum things up: There are all sorts of systems affected (Freenas, Unraid, Debian with Ceph). I myself have three different systems running, but all with Crucial MX500s and all with the same false error.

I would really like this to be resolved, as it is not a viable solution to just turn off certain monitoring systems....!

At first the errors were scarer after the update from 22 to 23, but now they are back on full scale so to say...

Very interested in updates on this!

Cheers

Kilobyte Kid

Hopefully they get this fixed eventually - in the interim I have just set an email filter to send all pending sector alerts to /dev/null

Kilobyte Kid

Hello,

i have the following problem:

After creating the bootable usb drive (via Ubuntu 18.04), rebooting and selecting UEFI-USB device as a startmedium the system stops at the "Welcome to GRUB"-message.

System has to be powered off, no further response at all.

Any hints?

Thanks and regards,

djoser.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Try using Etcher or "dd" to create the bootable USB drive if you used another app before.  Etcher just provides a gui and uses "dd" to write the image.

Try using another USB flash drive or use a USB hard drive.  I've had issues with various USB sticks causing problems (even reputable name brands) especially when booting a system.

The MX500 firmware updater does boot using UEFI.