Firmware update.

Bit Baby

Firmware update.

Good morning,
yesterday i was trying to update the firmware of my MX500 M2 (ssd).
I' ve tried crucial storage executive, but it doesen't recognize the SSD, then i've tried with the manual update via USB, but neither that is working.
I'm running windows 10. I read many topics about it, but i wans't able to finde the solution.
Thank you in advance. 
Alberto.

10 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Firmware update.

Did the manual USB updater boot?   

What message was displayed on the screen when attempting the manual updater method?

Bit Baby

Hey, 
thank you for your reply. Yes i've tried, i followed the guide made by crucial (https://it.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/install-guides/ssd/crucial-firmware-update-all-it.pdf)
it's in Italian sorry. But the problem is, once i use the usb stick and i try to boot it, the screen keeps balck with a dot line, the same you have when there is an error for loading windows. If you can suggest me any other program to mount the immage on the usb stick... (because in the guide it says Try Unlisted Linux ISO, and i don't know if this is wrong or not for windows.
Thank you.
Regards, Alberto

Kilobyte Kid

I have tried to update the firmware in my iMac but I think it is the iTunes Error code 590624 which is responsible for the occurrence of the error during any of the processes and also during this update. But if I fix it will it eliminate it and solve the error I am having?

JEDEC Jedi

@Alberto91 I just tried the updater so I could recall the process.   Did the screen you mention show "Storage Executive ...."?   Did it have "Done" after the dots?   I'm assuming there was no more text after this line?  If this is not on the screen, please provide a picture of the screen while attempting the manual update method.

Are you booting in UEFI mode or Legacy MBR mode?

Can you provide the make & model of your system?

Is your system (aka BIOS) firmware up to date?

Does the BIOS/UEFI settings show "AHCI" mode for your SATA controller and M.2?  Are there any security settings enabled in the BIOS/UEFI settings which would prevent access to the drive to protect it from rogue programs?

JEDEC Jedi

@Gennyswiss wrote:

I have tried to update the firmware in my iMac but I think it is the iTunes Error code 590624 which is responsible for the occurrence of the error during any of the processes and also during this update. But if I fix it will it eliminate it and solve the error I am having?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking or trying to do.   A quick search for the iTunes error seems to imply some kind of issue while updating iOS on an iPhone or iPad.   If this is the case, can you provide more information about the version of OSX and iOS and the device you are trying to update?

If you were also trying to update the MX500 firmware and it failed, please provide more information on what happened.  Please include the exact model of the iMac as found under "About this Mac".  Also provide a picture of the error if it is too difficult to describe.

I doubt if the SSD's firmware will have any affect on the iTunes issue.

Bit Baby

Hello
sorry for the late reply. 
So first of all, i've tried to do the update with the image with another program that booted my usb stick. It looks like that the update was done, because it was saying update done (or something like this) but i don't know how to check wich firmware version is my ssd now. 
About my specs are:
intel i7 8700k
ASUS z370g strix
asus strix 1080 8gb
2x8gb 3000mhz corsair vengeance
2 ssd (1 crucial mx500 M2) (1 samsung 860 evo 2.5)
windows 10 x64

Does the BIOS/UEFI settings show "AHCI" mode for your SATA controller and M.2?  Are there any security settings enabled in the BIOS/UEFI settings which would prevent access to the drive to protect it from rogue programs?
About this i don't know how to check it. if there is any way i can check i'll do it.

I hope i did answer all of your question.
Regards. Alberto.

p.s i forgot to mention, i have the optane pared with the samsung ssd

JEDEC Jedi

You can see the firmware version of the SSD in Crucial Storage Executive (CSE)  or you can find it using GSmartControl which has a portable version so it doesn't require installation.

FYI, the manual updater on the final screen will have the first line show something like "Storage Executive......Done" which means the app fully loaded, then it begins checking for drives to update and it should let you know about each drive it finds.

Bit Baby

Good, yeah i did the update, just checked with the programe you gave me. What i noticed, is the temperature it gave me, maximum reached 81 degrees :/.
Btw now i have to monitor the temperature, but about the update was done. May i ask you, how can i try to let work the program Crucial Storage? i mean how i can let recognize the ssd to the program? Thank you.

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

@Alberto91 the max temperature reading of 81C is somewhat normal for the M.2 variant of the MX500. Unlike other SSDs the MX500 is giving a temperature reading for the controller instead of an average temperature between the controller and memory. Being a "max temp", your drive shouldn't regularly be reaching that temp, and if it ever did get to that temp again thermal throttling will kick in to keep the drive from overheating to the point it reaches a shut off temp.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?