Free memory disappearing after system disc clone

Kilobyte Kid

Free memory disappearing after system disc clone

Dell Optiplex 3020 desktop PC Windows 10 - other details available if required

I cloned the 1TB HDD system disc onto a 1TB MX500SSD using the provided Acronis software essentially without problem.

I replaced the HDD system disc with the SSD clone and restarted - no apparent difference in the startup other than a significant increase in performance and lack of drive noise - the HDD rattled like a bag of nails.

Storage Executive reports all good, latest firmware M3CR023 installed, good health, 10% overprovisoning set. At this point there was about 450GB free space reported by checking drive C: properties in Explorer.

After a few days of normal operation (undemanding business use – Excel spreadsheets, web-based applications) Windows automatically turned on Storage Sense (which I had never encountered before) and that the free space was showing around 150GB.

The free space continued to fall for no reason that I could determine until it was around 30GB. At this point I took remedial action and reinstalled the original HDD.

After some diversions I was able to use Storage Executive to sanitise the SSD (as recommended by a Crucial chat agent) and the reclone the SSD from the HDD.

On reinstalling the SSD the story is much the same. The machine starts and functions without issue.

Storage executive does not report anything apparently untoward. Overprovisioning has been set at 10% as recommended by Crucial.

After overprovisioning was set, free space was reported at 452.5GB

After 2 hours, with no significant activity other than looking for solutions on the web and checking emails the free space is reported as 349.6GB and dropping. Can anybody suggest where to look to determine the cause of this behaviour?

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Free memory disappearing after system disc clone

I ad similar after a recent windows reinstall.  I think it's just a ton of stuff MS are doing behind the scenes including Windows updates, app store downloads, restore point creations.  It settled down after a few days.

Right click the drive -> properties -> disk clean-up -> system

You'll see a bunch of temp stuff MS are using of which 'delivery optimisation' and 'windows update' are likely to be munching the most space

You can use something like https://windirstat.net/ to see where your space is being used by personal files.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

OK - I reinitialised the SSD and recloned it from the HDD. On start-up the amazing disappearing free space resumed.

After some digging around and a little guesswork I discovered that the free memory loss occured only while I had Carbonite Safe Backup running - which it does all the while the machine is up and running. Pause Carbonite and, hey presto, the free memory stops disappearing.

A brief chat session with a very helpful Carbonite agent revealed that the underlying cause was not Carbonite itself. Rather it was some unfathomable behaviour exhibited by MS Onedrive (which I do not use) - it appears that Onedrive writes files to the local drive as well as the cloud, although quite why is a mystery to me. Once Onedrive was disconnected, Carbonite could continue unmolested and do its job. The remaining mystery to solve is the location and identity of the files occupying the free space to no avail, and the nmeans to recover the space.

Any ideas anybody?

JEDEC Jedi

Perhaps the files/folders are marked as hidden and/or system which won't show up in normal Windows Explorer modes by default.  You should be able to modify these default settings.

Normally on Linux when I want to look for large files/folders I use the "ncdu" utility.  I'm not sure what a good Windows equivalent is, but it would need to overlook any hidden or system attributes.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

OneDrive is on by default (to backup your profile and settings for you).  It should be available in the left pane fo windows explorer below quick access.

You can view hidden items (as HWTech suggests) via the view drop down of explorer.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?