HP Laptop Keeps Rebooting Randomly After SSD Upgrade

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

HP Laptop Keeps Rebooting Randomly After SSD Upgrade

Hi All, My HP 15 laptop keeps shutting down and rebooting randomly after the Crucial MX500 SSD upgrade.
I also added a 4GB Crucial Memory that is not being Recognized either. The computer still shows 4 GB available Ram.

The issue started occurring just after I installed the MX500 SSD with Windows 10 OS. Used the Acronis software to create a clone from the existing drive. Laptop boots up fine but shuts down unexpectedly and tries to do a disk check and repair.

I'm at bit of a loss here, any possible feedback appreciated!

HP15 - Ba009DX
BIOS Version - A.17
SSD - Crucial MX 500 GB

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: HP Laptop Keeps Rebooting Randomly After SSD Upgrade

Uninstall Acronis after you've done with it.  It can cause issues on selected system if left on.

Do you have 64 bit Windows installed?  32 bit can only use 4GB

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I uninstalled Acronis but the issue still persists.

Windows is 64 Bits.

JEDEC Jedi

Does the BIOS see the new RAM?

My first concern would be to resolve your memory issue.   I would first remove the new memory and see how the system works with the new SSD.   If everything is fine, then you can be reasonably sure memory or the motherboard is at fault.  If you still have problems, then I would reinstall the original working drive and work on resolving the memory issues since that configuration worked before.  Test the original drive with the original memory only just to verify this configuration is still stable.   I would then move the original RAM to the other slot and leave the other slot empty so you can verify if the 2nd slot on the board is functional.   If the 2nd slot appears to work with the original RAM, I would then install the new RAM in the empty slot where the original RAM was located.  If you have problems, then remove the original RAM and test again in case there is a compatibility issue between the two RAM modules. 

Once the memory shows up in the BIOS, I suggest using Memtest86 to test your memory as it might provide useful information and boots from a USB or CD eliminating Windows issues entirely.  If it has errors, then make sure to verfiy you get no errrors when using just the original RAM as this test could have false positives.   Prime95 torture test mode is useful to make sure everything is stable.   

Crucial Employee

@HWTech  just wanted to let you know the problem with Acronis causing the OS to lockup on rare occasion was fixed about a year ago if I remember correctly. So with any latest version of our download it should never cause that problem Smiley Happy

@quantum try replacing your AHCI drivers following the article below. Sometimes manufacture drivers can cause the SSD to lockup after a clone, and using Microsoft drivers can often resolve this.

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Replacing-Manufacturer-AHCI-drivers-with-standard-Microso...

With a driver related problem like this the system will freeze or BSOD, if your system is simply restarting without any errors or freezing it's unlikely a driver problems, and I would think memory or an outdated BIOS would be more likely the issue.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@Crucial_Benny wrote:

@HWTech  just wanted to let you know the problem with Acronis causing the OS to lockup on rare occasion was fixed about a year ago if I remember correctly. So with any latest version of our download it should never cause that problem Smiley Happy

That's good to know! Thanks Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@Crucial_Benny Replacing AHCI Drivers did the trick, I haven't had any random restarts since the driver update. I updated the BIOS and Display Drivers to the latest version. Thanks for the suggestion!!

@HWTech I removed the extra memory and replaced it back later after updating the BIOS. The system now recognizes the new memory, shows Total 8GB(6.75 available). Thanks!

Still having one issue, Not able to open File Explorer or Device Manager after Right Click on the Start Menu. I am able open both through command prompt or the Windows Settings menu. 

Thanks for the help !!