Health decreased by 2%

SOLVED

Health decreased by 2%

Hello there,

I purchased a Crucial MX300 525GB on the 28th of November 2016 and I checked the health with Hard Disk Sentinel a few months ago it went down by 1%. After a while, it decreased by another 1% meaning that the health now is 98%. Would you be able to tell me what did this happen? I haven't stress the SSD in any way, just got my windows installed on it with software.

Thanks

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Health decreased by 2%

The word 'health' in SMART software is misleading.  It's actual a wear level indicator.  Being less than 100% doesn't mean it's unhealthy - it means it's not brand new.

When it reaches 0% it means it's been rewritten, on average, as much as the NAND was expected to take.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted

That's strange because  I've got another SSD from 2013 that I have been using it the same as my Crucial MX300 and the health is intact. 

Let's say that my Crucial SSD reaches 50% on Health. Doesn't that mean that the SSD is going to die at a point like a normal HDD? Or will it reset at work fine as before?

Thanks 

JEDEC Jedi

It's a limitation of NAND that it can only be erased a certain number of times.  And NAND has to be erased before it can be re-written.  This applies to all SSD's though they vary in endurance and the endurance wil be quoted in the marketing material for the drive.

At 50% it means that on average you have erased the NAND half the times it's rated to last.  It's rated to last until 0%.  And many people have stress tested them several times longer than rated.  But equally, it could fail at any point like any complex device if you're unlucky.  So always backup.

If it's used 2% in a year that simple maths says it'll last 50 years at that rate so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I have seen the wear indicator change significantly in a short period of time on some SSDs (various manufacturers and even Apple's)  with macOS.   I'm not sure if it could be OS related or whether some  drives  show wear more quickly.   As the other posters mentioned, don't worry about it unless this number gets close to zero or you notice other SMART attributes increasing/decreasing drasticly in a short period of time.

I would advise you to make sure your MX300 SSD has the latest firmware though since I've had issues with the SATA version of this series.

JEDEC Jedi

I think some drives don't even track this.  I've got one from a well known competitor in a desktop pretending to be a server at work.  We're replacing it with an actual server and was quoted for enterprise class SSD's today and I said we don't need them as the consumer drive is till on 100% after a couple of years.

Then I noticed its host writes (so before any amplification!) are at 47TB.  There's no way that drive has taken no wear from that usage.  So I'm inclined to think at least some other manufacturers simply don't track wear in this way which is why you'll see some on 100% and others go down.

Want to be a Super User?