How to clone failed hard drive using Acronis True Image?

Kilobyte Kid

How to clone failed hard drive using Acronis True Image?

I just purchased an MX500 SSD because the original HDD on my laptop failed.  I'm just curious as to how I could create a bootable image with Crucial Acronis True Image when I can't install Crucial ATI onto any PC without a Crucial SSD being installed on it.  There certainly seems to be no way to do it without having a separate PC.  But what if the failed laptop were my only PC?  I guess I'd have to borrow a PC from a friend, mount the SSD to it using an SATA/USB adapter, install Crucial ATI to my friend's computer, run it and create bootable media from there.  What a pain!  Oh, and the way Crucial ATI creates bootable media is for you to download an ISO image of a Microsoft AIK for the OS you're going to be installing, mount it, and install the AIK to your PC.  Only then can ATI actually create a bootable WinPE image.  Does this seem horribly convoluted to anyone else?

2 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: How to clone failed hard drive using Acronis True Image?

Hi,

I haven't tried doing this, but I believe it is possible. Check the links given below:

https://www.howtogeek.com/57442/how-to-backup-and-resurrect-a-dead-or-dying-system-disk-with-clonezi...

Hope this would help.
JEDEC Jedi

Re: How to clone failed hard drive using Acronis True Image?

Crucial is assuming your source drive is in good working order and not failing.   I'm not sure Acronis will be able to clone a failing drive if it is producing errors.   Another user on this forum was unable to finish a clone with it.

A better solution would be to install your new SSD in the computer and install a fresh copy of Windows on it.   You can download a Windows installer for Win7-10 direct from Microsoft.    After Windows is installed, then connect the failing hard drive using a USB to SATA Adapter and manually copy your documents to the new SSD.   Depending on how bad the drive is failing even this may not work.

If the failing drive is producing a lot of errors and is very slow to access, then the only way to recover your documents yourself would be to use block level cloning software that is able to handle the errors properly.   You will also need another accessible location to store the image temporarily    I'm not sure what is available that is easy to use as I always rely on a Linux command line tool to rescue data from failing drives.   

Keep in mind the more you use the failing hard drive the more likely the failure will get worse and the more likely you will end up losing data permanently.   Every failed attempt at rescue puts your data at risk.   If the data is really critical and there are no recent backups of the data, I would suggest using a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers.   They provide free estimates and you only pay if data is recovered.   We've used them several times and they are one of the recommended vendors suggested by many OEMs.