Impossible to boot after cloning my HDD to my MX200 SSD, Windows 10 error code 0xc000000f

Kilobyte Kid

Impossible to boot after cloning my HDD to my MX200 SSD, Windows 10 error code 0xc000000f

The cloning process seems to end properly and no warnings happend during the process.

Once I remove the HDD and try to boot the computer on the SSD, I get an error 0xc000000f stating that it is not possible to boot due to a modification of software (or something like that as I have the French version of windows 10).

Impossible to boot on the SSD. Any help on that issue?

I have tried several manipulation with the command prompt like Bootrec but nothing seems to work.

The crucial support told me that the actual version of Acronis (Trueimage 2014) packed with the SSD I bought was not compatible and that they worked hard to fix the problem with a new version. If you go to the Acronis web site the DO HAVE a new version compatible with windows 10.... So what the problem? 

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Impossible to boot after cloning my HDD to my MX200 SSD, Windows 10 error code 0xc000000f

As you've noted, some people have said that the shipped version of Acronis is not coimpatible with Windows 10.

Try this: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Impossible to boot after cloning my HDD to my MX200 SSD, Windows 10 error code 0xc000000f

After several different tries, I finally got the solution!!!

Here is the procedure that worked for me :

1) Before cloning, make sure you have prepared a bootable Windows 10 CD or USB. You will need it in case of boot problem.

2) Forget about Acronis and its non-compatible version with windows 10. I used EaseUS which is free and powerful.

3) After cloning, remove the source HDD and all other drives you may have except CD and DVD drives.

4) When booting, in my case, I still have this error code 0xc000000f

5) Insert the bootable CD and boot from it.

6) run a command prompt

7) Got to your C; drive. It should be your SSD with the cloned image on it. The one that refuse to boot.

8) type the magic command : bcdboot c:\windows /s c: /l en-US (if you use different language option, replace en-US by your language settings (in my case, I use a french version : /l fr-FR

9) Exit the command prompt and boot the PC again. It worked just fine for me!

Hope this help.

Tags (3)
Bit Baby

Bonjour Bannik, c' est excellent information!

I speak a little French so I though I'd try it, but I have to continue in English.

I am having the same problem and will try your solution. Can you provide the following clarifications:

#1. Which version of EaseUS did you use? Can you provide a working link.

#2. The cloning software you downloaded works from within windows or it has the option to create a linux bootable disk (just like Acronis, which I tried but does not work, exactly as you said!).

Bannik, bonjour!

Which exactly version of EaseUS did you download. And did it allow you to create a bootable linux disk to work offline or you had to do the cloning from inside windows.

Merci beaucoup pour l' aide!

Dim Pan

*removed personal information*

Might need to have a fresh installed OS.

Check also on this website they have a couple of steps and walk through how to resolve this issue.

URL: https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/error-code-0xc00000f/

Tags (1)
Kilobyte Kid

hello,

When was bootsec.exe /nt60 used? Was that the complete command? What was the result?
What other commands had been used and what were the results?

These are abridged commands:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.
There are more commands after these steps.

These are unabridged commands:
a) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
(This searches for windows installations not included in the BCD and then asks if you would like to add to it)
(It will display that it successfully scanned all installations and the identified installations will be 0 or 1)
If 0 it displays: Total identified windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully.
If 1 it displays: Total identified windows installations: 1 [1] D:\windows Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:
b) for option total identified installations 0 the BCD store exists and first needs to be removed manually and then rebuilt.
c) type: bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
(This will export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup (a file extension is not needed)
(It should display: The operation completed successfully.)
d) type: attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
(This removes the hidden, read only and system attributes from the file BCD)
(The attributes had restricted the actions on the file and now it can be renamed)
e) type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
(now that it is renamed it should be able to be rebuilt)
f) type: bootrec /rebuildbcd
It should display:
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Please wait, since this may take a while...
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:
g) type: Y
then enter key
It should display :
The operationi completed successfully. (The BCD rebuild is complete.)
h) reboot

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.
There are more commands after these steps.

If the above results work you are set. If they fail then perform the next group of steps:

This is the registry backup method:
For each step you must see sizeable file sizes for this to work.
If you see zeros the method will fail.
The command: dir 
will be used each step to make sure you are in the proper location and check the size of the files
10) type: C:
11) dir
12) type: D:
13) dir
Choose the C: or the D: drive to proceed. It should be the windows drive and not the USB drive.
14) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
This should display the location of the partition and in most cases is the location of the affected drive.
For this post I will use C: however you should pick the drive letter that you found that has the windows files on your computer. The prior results did not display a result however the active partition is C:
The proper drive will display: perflogs, program files, program files (x86), users, windows, etc
15) type or copy and paste: cd \windows\system32\config
It should display: C:\windows\system32\config>
16) type: dir
It should display: bbi, bcd-template, components, default, drivers, elam, sam, security, software, system, vsmidk, journal, regback, systemprofile txr, etc.
All of the file sizes should be sizeable. If it displays zeros then abort.
Make a new directory and name it backup or something similar.
17) type: MD backup
Copy all of the files into this new directory.
18) type or copy and paste: copy *.* backup
It should now display: bbi, bcd-template, components, default, drivers, elam, sam, security, software, system, vsmidk indicating the files were copied.
Change the directory to regback
19) type: cd regback
It should now display: c:\windows\system32\config\regback>
20)type: dir
It should display: default, sam, security, software, system etc
All of these files must be sizeable. If it displays zeros then abort.
21) type or copy and paste: copy *.* ..
It should now display: 
Overwrite ..\default? (yes/no/all):
22) type: a
It should now display: sam, security, software, system and that the files were copied.
23) type: exit
24) click turn off your PC
Remove the USB flash drive if you had changed your boot order. Otherwise you can leave it and power on your computer