Installed SSD in my Inspiron 3455 AIO

Bit Baby

Installed SSD in my Inspiron 3455 AIO

I purchased a Crucial 1 TB SSD to replace my failing hard drive. The only problem is the computer will only boot from it when I have it connected to a SATA cable to a side USB?? Here is what I did:

• Tried to clone the hard drive using the SATA to USB cable but my hard drive was too far gone and would not stay functional without freezing long enough to clone it.
  • I installed the new SSD into the computer, downloaded the Dell recovery program from on line for my PC to a thumb drive, and recovered the PC to the SSD.
  • It looked like it ran it’s cycle but the computer didn’t boot.  So I ran it again. Same thing.
  • I removed the SSD from the PC and hooked it up to my other PC using the SATA to USB cable. When I looked at the SSD on the other PC it looked like all of the windows files downloaded??
  • So I then hooked up the SSD to my now hard driveless PC with the SATA to USB cable, went into the BIOS and had the computer boot from the USB device. Bingo!! It booted up! I updated to windows 10 (PC original came with 8 with a free update to 10) and did all other driver updates. I migrated all of my files to the new SSD.
  • Now the problem……when I installed the SSD into the PC and connected to the mother board it won’t boot off that drive? When I go into the BIOS it sees the new SSD but I can’t force it to boot off that drive. The drive sequence is governed by “Windows Drive Manager”. When I switch the BIOS mode so I can change the bootable drive and switch it the SSD it still won’t boot off of it? But when I plug it into the USB…..boom…starts right up!!! I’ve googled everything I can think of and **bleep** around with the Bios a million different ways but can’t get it to boot when it is plugged into the motherboard the normal way.

HELP!! I can run the computer with the new SSD outside but I would really prefer to get it inside the computer.

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Installed SSD in my Inspiron 3455 AIO

I would try downloading the Win10 installer direct from Microsoft.   With the SSD connected internally, boot the Win10 installer and go into the "Repair this Computer" option located in the lower right after selecting your language.  Navigate to the section for Automatic Startup Repair (I don't recall exactly the path, but it is something like Troubleshooting, Advanced, Startup Repair).    Make sure your BIOS/UEFI settings are set properly before booting the installer (enable AHCI mode if possible).   If the Automatic Startup Repair does not work, then see if it will allow you to reinstall Windows 10 (and keep your data).    It may not allow you to do this since it is an OEM system.   

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Installed SSD in my Inspiron 3455 AIO

@zoziano  Are you using a Microsoft Windows installer or one acquired from Dell (if from Dell, is it an actual installer or a recovery image)?

Did the Windows install/recovery finish?  Did the system boot to Windows at all after the install/image? 

If you have made changes to the  BIOS/UEFI  since the Windows install, then unless you can return ALL of the settings to the same as when you installed Windows then it won't boot.  You could try resetting to Defaults, but that is no guarantee.   If the BIOS boot settings are not the same as when you installed Windows, then Windows will not be properly configured to boot.  If this is the case, reinstalling Windows again is the best option for conintued troubleshooting.

If you press F12 during POST do you see your SSD in the boot menu?  Does it boot when you select it?

It is possible the Dell is holding onto the old Windows setup in the BIOS/UEFI.  You should reset the BIOS to Defaults and try reinstalling Windows again making sure to delete all of the partitions on the SSD.   The BIOS/UEFI settings should be set to UEFI mode and the SATA controller should use AHCI mode if the setting is available.   Don't change the SATA modes or MBR/Legacy/CSM/UEFI mode after Windows is installed since it will make Windows unbootable.   You can toggle Secure Boot at any time without affecting Windows ability to boot.

If you still have the same boot issue, then you can try booting to Recovery Mode on the Windows installer ("Repair this comuter" --> Advanced --> Troubleshooting --> Startup Repair) to see if it can fix the boot issue automatically.  If it cannot, then go into your BIOS/UEFI settings and make sure the hard drive is the default boot option.  There is also a menu for selecting UEFI boot options & drives.  If this is empty, you can try to manually select the Windows boot file which should be located on the small 500MB EFI System partition.   You will be looking for a boot file ending in ".efi".   Try the one in the "BOOT" folder if available, otherwise try the Microsoft folder.   There may be multiple files with the extension ".efi" on the drive and I don't recall which one is best to use.

Is the Dell firmware up to date?

You can also download the current Win10 installer direct from Microsoft to see if it makes any difference.

What SSD are you using?  Is the SSD firmware up to date?