Is it possible to run an MX200 in SATA 2 mode?

Bit Baby

Is it possible to run an MX200 in SATA 2 mode?

I have an MX200 ssd in my mid 2012 MBP which I am replacing witha larger MX500. I wanted to use the old MX200 as a second drive, in place of the optical drive which I no longer use. However I've read that there can be issues using SATA 3 drives as optical replacements in many unibody macs. It seems one way round this is to put the ssd drive into SATA 2 mode. Is this possible with an MX200? If so, how do I go about doing it?

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Is it possible to run an MX200 in SATA 2 mode?

It is compatible with sata 2 but you can't force it to sata 2 if the system is sata 3 - which is what it sounds like you want to do?  It will negotiate 3 is 3 is available.  This is just how sata works.

I vaguely recall there being an old brand of sata 3 drive you could flash a sata 2 firmware onto.  I guess this is what you are thinking of?  But I don't know what drive it was - non of Crucial's ever had this option.

Replacing or adding shielding to the sata cable is another workaround for early sata 3 based Macs.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Is it possible to run an MX200 in SATA 2 mode?

@Adcampbell  Doing a quick search, I think you may be Ok with the MX200 in the optical drive bay.  If the optical drive bay adapter is not expensive, then it may be worth trying.   From what I could find it appears the optical drive SATA controller is capable of 6G (aka SATA III).  Check the Apple System Profiler to verify the optical drive SATA controller link speed shows 6G.

@targetbsp Some Apple systems have had issues allowing 6G SSDs to work properly even on the primary hard drive SATA controller.  This issue is even worse on the optical drive SATA ports as Apple never expected anyone to use them for more than CD/DVD use.  Some of the issues are that Apple's SATA II controllers have problems negotiating with 6G SSDs causing freezing & hangs.  Some of the issues were resolved with a later EFI firmware on the Apple hardware.  Sometimes the issue could be resolved with shielding, but not always.