Is my mx100 almost dead?

Kilobyte Kid

Is my mx100 almost dead?

Hello.

Some days ago I checked the ssd (I had problem making an image of windows partition with clonezilla, the program told me that a disk had several defective sectors), so I checked both my hdd and my mx100 with hddscan, hdd scan found 500.000 errors on sector, then I tried Hdtune and it found errors but in form of percentage (0,1% of defective sectors).

Then I thought: what if checkdisk from windows can repair them? Then I tried to initiate it to check c:, I rebooted and checkdisk did not initiate and instead some horizontal lines appeared in the upper part of the screen, I canceled it pressing enter and and windows stucked for 5 minutez in the loading screen.

How fast can my ssd die? I need to know so that I can copy some files into my hdd just in case.

Thank you very much.
3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Is my mx100 almost dead?

SSDs can die suddenly so it is even more important to have good verified working backups.

Please post the SMART Attributes of your drives so we can examine them for you.

Also check to make sure your SSD's firmware is up to date.

Kilobyte Kid

I took these pictures some days ago, although the quality is awful you will still be able to read them (admins have edited my post, I dont know the reason, but whatever)

Edit: Well, anyway I have already ordered the new mx500, seems like an impressive upgrade from mx100, Im eager to have it.
JEDEC Jedi

Most likely the photos showed some type of personal information.   You need to edit the photos to remove personal information.   If the photo shows the SSD's serial number you need to blank it out.

I would suggest running GSmartControl and posting the SMART Attributes.  You can also use it to identify the current firmware on the SSD.  GSmartControl is free and they include a portable version so you don't actually have to install it.  If Windows is not booting you can make a bootable Knoppix CD/USB drive and access GSmartControl from the "System Tools" menu.   Knoppix can save the information to another USB drive or you can update your post using a web browser with Knoppix.   Also Knoppix is really useful if you need to retrieve any data from the drive.  If the drive is encrypted it may not be possible, or at least not easy.

You should not abandon the MX100 completely as this is a simple check that might allow you to use it as an extra drive if it is still healthy or if it can be revitalized.

Also try repairing Windows using the Windows installer (or perhaps the Advanced Boot menu).  If you don't have a Windows installer, you can download one direct from Microsoft.   Both options have an automatic Startup Repair option.  If the automatic option does not work, you can access the command prompt to run "chkdsk" and also "sfc /scannow".   Before doing anything I would check the SMART Attributes to see what is going on as you don't want to work on a physically failing drive.  

BTW, it is perfectly normal to encounter some bad blocks on an SSD.  It is only a problem when a lot of them fail at once or if the reserved spare blocks are almost gone.  It is also a problem if the bad blocks are not reallocated.   The SMART Attributes will provide the information we need to assess the MX100 for you.

Enjoy your new MX500.