Laptop powering off randomly since installing MX500

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Laptop powering off randomly since installing MX500

Hi guys - I purchased an Dell Inspiron 7580 with a 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD last month. The laptop has a 2.5" SATA slot to add a second hard drive for storage purposes. I installed a 1TB MX500 in the SATA slot this morning, it was recognised and everything seemed fine. However, since installation the laptop keeps randomly powering off every 10 minutes or so (not doing a proper Windows shut down ... literally just powering off completely without warning). It's happened 7 or 8 times. 

I removed the MX500 and the problem disappeared. Plugged the it back in, same problem within 10 minutes. I've updated the Intel Rapid Storage Tech driver but that made no difference - any ideas what might cause a laptop to shutdown when an SSD is plugged in to a SATA port? Can anyone think of some things to troubleshoot? I've posted the same question on the Dell forums but had no luck ...

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Laptop powering off randomly since installing MX500

Did you install the SSD with the Dell sled so the drive is solidly secured in the drive bay?  If not, the SSD might be moving just enough to break the connection to the data or power ports.

Have you checked the Even Viewer logs to see if anything shows up there?

Have you tried running the Dell Diagnostics?  Or let the system sit at the BIOS/UEFI Boot Menu to see if it powers down outside of the OS?   (Press F12 during POST to get the boot menu).

Are you writing to the Crucial SSD when this happens?  

You could try booting from a Knoppix USB drive to see if the same thing happens with another OS.   If you can write or copy data to the Crucial drive this way, then the hardware is all working and you have a Windows driver or software issue.  You don't need to know anything about Linux to do this.   Just open two file explorer windows (file cabinet icon on the Taskbar) and transfer some files from your original Dell SSD to the Crucial one (drag & drop).  Just make sure to see a "+" on the cursor to know you are making a copy and not moving files.  If you see a "?", it will prompt you when you release the button.  You should be able to mount the two SSDs by clicking on their respective volumes in the left pane of the file explorer.

Do you have another SATA drive to try in the laptop or a USB SATA adapter/dock/enclosure to use for testing the Crucial drive externally?

JEDEC Jedi

FYI, there is a new firmware update available for the MX500 (version M3CR023).  Your SSD may already have it from the factory depending when it was manufactured.  If the system stays running at the BIOS/UEFI boot menu or while running the Dell Diagnostics, then you could try updating the firmware.   Use the manual update method of downloading the updater ISO and making a USB boot drive using Rufus (select "ISO" if given a choice) so the system doesn't shutdown during the firmware update.  

If the system won't stay running at the BIOS/UEFI boot menu or with the Dell Diagnostics or the Knoppix boot, then Do NOT attempt to update the firmware using this laptop or you will likely brick the MX500.  If you have another computer, use it to update the MX500.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks so much for your replies - we're getting somewhere. Kudas added for both posts.

FYI The shutdown occurs at any random time when booted in Windows - browsing the web, listening to music. It's not when I'm copying data to the MX500. I can copy data to it fine.

I've tried some of your recommendations:

1. I checked the MX500 installation and there was one screw that has not been tighted at all, so that's now secure and there is no movement in the hard drive.

2. I left the machine in the BIOS mode for over an hour - no shutdowns.

3. Ran Dell Diagnostics, which took 45 minutes as I did the extended memory tests. No issues identified, no shutdowns.

4. I booted up to Windows but unfortunately shutdown occured after about 10 minutes and has occured every 5-10 minutes since. Must confirm your suspicion that's it's an O/S or software issue.

5. Event Viewer shows 21 "Kernal 41" Power Critical errors but that just indicates the shutdowns themselves, not what caused them. There are no clear events showing the cause.

6. I created a boot drive using Rufus with the latest Crucial Firmware, but when I boot in to the ISO after it runs for a few seconds I get a message as shown in the photo below saying "no devices needing update found", and then Windows boots. I've bought the MX500 on 10th December from Amazon, and the latest firmware (M3CR023) was released on 11th December so it can't possibly be up to date already. I'm wondering if it's only seeing my boot drive (the M2) and not the MX500? Not sure how to work around this (also not sure why the photo insists on rotating upside-down).  Until I can get the firmware updated I feel kinda stuck ....

IMG_4689 (2).JPG

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I got advice from another forum that I should change my system’s SATA Operation from RAID mode to AHCI and then try to update the firmware again. He thought that’s probably what’s preventing the firmware updater from seeing the drive as it's likely that it doesn't have the Intel RST driver to interface with it. Tried this. It didn't work!

Kilobyte Kid

Resolved (hopefully...)

Found a blog post suggesting Intel's Rapid Storage Technology could be causing the problem. It specifically suggested opening the IRST application, accessing the 'Performance' tab and disabling 'Link Power Management'. After disabling this feature I rebooted the machine and we're now at 3 hours of constant use in Windows without a random shutdown. Both SSDs are functioning perfectly, so it's looking good! Smiley Happy