Laptop shows black screen at boot up for long time before starting up.

Bit Baby

Laptop shows black screen at boot up for long time before starting up.

I have upgraded my Satelite 850 laptop with MX300 SSD two days ago which is working very well. (Windows 10 Home).

However, when I rebooted last night, the display stayed black for nearly 2 hours before the login page appeared. I tried swithing off the power a couple of times and eventually after a few more minutes of black screen the login page appeared.

It looked as though something was happening during this process in that the fan was running and it was pumping out quite a lot of heat. Once it started up, looking at the processes, "Microsoft Compatibilty Telemetry" was taking up a lot of disc usage. I ended that task and the disc droped right down to normal.

Setting the machine to sleep and works as normal.

When I first installed the drive, it took about 10 minutes of black screen before I could login.

Any ideas as to what the machine is doing during this initial start up phase.

Paul

3 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: Laptop shows black screen at boot up for long time before starting up.

Was this a fresh or clone install? Also, was there an update or updates to the install prior to issue?With win 10 you can expect high disk utilization at times, though this can be remieded somewhat by setting some non esential services to 'manual'. 

Are you on the latest bios, and is this a uefi/non csm/gpt install?

Bit Baby

It was a clone install.

You are right about the Windows Updates.  I did not notice that there is an Update outstanding and it is the Windows 10 Creator update and it appears to have been failing prior to the my upgrade.  I will look into that.  I dont think it is csm/gpt and I will check the bios.

Paul

Highlighted
Silicon Sultan

The 'creators' update did me in (goofed up my dual boot, had to reinstall other os), but once that was out of the way, things settled down. I went through and reset a handfull of non essential services to manual start, turned off cortana, and atm my disk usage spikes are all but gone.