Latitude E7470 - M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD Cloner

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Latitude E7470 - M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD Cloner

Hi All, Need a help. I have Latitude E7470 laptop with M.2 256 SSD. I want to upgrade it to Crucial M.2 MX500 1TB SSD and also want to clone complete data as is from old SSD.

How to achieve the same.

Thanks!!

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Latitude E7470 - M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD Cloner

I believe an adapter such as this should probably work for you.

Kilobyte Kid

is this the only way? 

and once i have similar tool, we can use cloning software to clone it correct? Crucial should post this in there guides for cloning M2 type SSD as mostly guides are for big SSDs only.

JEDEC Jedi

If your computer has a second M.2 SATA connector, then you can install both SSDs internally and clone them.  You will have to check the Dell documentation for your system.  Go to the Dell support site and enter your Tag# to get the documentation for your system.  Or contact Dell tech support directly to get this information.

Be careful with any USB adapters you get as it is difficult to find good quality ones which are reliable.  Vantec is a good brand.   I have been happy with StarTech products in the past, but I've had issues with their USB3 products disconnecting.   I'm not sure if the problem is with StarTech or the systems I'm connecting them.

They probably don't have instrtuctions because until recently people were just upgrading from old SATA hard drives.  You could leave a suggestion here for them to provide an M.2 USB adapter when upgrading newer systems.  I would welcome a quality adapter from them instead of having to sift through unknown brands to find a decent one.