M4 SSD strange firmware version

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

M4 SSD strange firmware version

Today my system did not detect the M4 drive. I followed the power cycle procedure to get it working again. Then I tried using the Windows 8 updater to update the firmware to 070H. Windows eventually stopped responding and after a bit longer the screen went black but I could still see the mouse pointer and move it around. Still nothing after about 30 minutes so I restarted the computer. I got back into Windows so I figured the firmware update just didn't run.

Next I tried the bootable USB drive updater. This updater told me:

This tool cannot update the following drive
M4-CT256M4SSD2
Firmware Revision ~0áβ

Is this somethin I should be worried about? Is there any way to run the firmware update again? 

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M4 SSD strange firmware version

Everything in the previous post happened last night.

This morning when I turned on the computer, the M4 drive was not detected again. I followed the SSD power cycle procedure again. After the power cycle, the drive was detected again. So I tried the bootable USB drive upater again. This time, the update tool detected the previous firmware revision from before the failed update (I think it was 040H) then successfully updated to 070H. I'm back in Windows now and Crucial Storage Executive says the drive has firmware version 070H. I guess it remains to be seen if the drive will be detected or not next time I turn my computer on.

I forgot to mention in the last post that I'm using Windows 10. Lesson learned: don't run the Windows 8 updater program on Windows 10. Other lesson learned: don't let your kids turn off your computer by flipping the power switch on the power strip.

To recap:

1. SSD not detected.
  2. Power cycled.
  3. Windows 8 updater failed.
  4. SSD started reporting firmware version incorrectly.
  5. Power cycled again.
  6. Firmware from before failed update still on the SSD
  7. Bootable USB drive updater successfully updated.
  8. ...
  9. Drive will work normally now?
JEDEC Jedi

Few users reported this kind of issue, a few years ago. As far as I can remember the proper solution was to power cycle the drive for a few times. 

Now if the drive is working as expected I would probably do data backup only. Well, backing up your data is always a good idea Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@bogdan wrote:

Now if the drive is working as expected I would probably do data backup only. Well, backing up your data is always a good idea Smiley Happy

How true that is! I do many things wrong, but one of the things I do right is to keep regular backups on a NAS with one drive fault tolerance. So I wasn't worried about losing data. I just didn't want to fork over any cash for a new drive. This M4 drive has lasted a while and is well outside the warranty period. If SMART is correct, it's not even close to the end of it's lifetime.

It's been a little over a week and I haven't had to do any more power cycles so I think everything is good now.